Tetraodon erythrotaenia

This forum is now archived.
OkieMavis
Puffer Fry

Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Post by OkieMavis »

Just wanted to share my tidbits of info, since the LFS I work at got a bunch of these guys in stock.

Firstly, the wholesaler listed them as "Ninja Puffers". Since this is a pretty big fish supplier, I'd imagine other people will be seeing "Ninja Puffers" around.

Secondly, they don't seem too aggressive (at least not the lorteti's I'm most familiar with). At least they can swim within a couple inches of each other and not immediately fight to the death.

I'll be sure to chime in with more observations, but I mostly wanted to get that other common name out there, since we really had no idea what to expect until they arrived and we could ID them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can you get some pics of them?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

Does it look like this?

www.thepufferforum.com/typo3temp/pi ... 14b8c7.jpg

I just did a random search to see if I could find some pics. :)
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
riggers
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): UK

Post by riggers »

that link's not working for me
edmlfc1
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Elvis (Stars & Stripes) R.I.P. 9/11/11
125G:Fahaka (Annabelle)
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by edmlfc1 »

Need to know what kind of puffer you have? Click on Puffer ID.....Puffer ID: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
What to feed your puffer? Click on Feeding......
Feeding: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have a GSP, need more information......Click on GSP Article.....
GSP Article: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
riggers
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): UK

Post by riggers »

awww they're cute! Mind you what puffer isn't cute really. :D
OkieMavis
Puffer Fry

Post by OkieMavis »

Oh, sorry! I've forgotten all about this page. Well, there were 10 shipped in...and all 10 are still in the store, so I've been able to hang out with them a lot :P. They're like little puppies! Very sweet and expressive, well, for a puffer.

They are actually not particularly aggressive. They live in a 15 gallon tank and there's little more than a few nipped fins. It's heavily decorated with lots of rocky caves (was previously a Tanganyikan tank) and they really enjoy playing chase around the rocks. I'd certainly love to see them in a more appropriately sized tank, they are amazingly non-aggressive. In fact, a handful of very tiny guppy fry hopped over from a nearby tank and have grown up just fine alongside the puffers! However, they get fed daily snails by me, and they rip those apart- def not invert safe.

I plan to add a pair to my mudskipper tank in the near future, I think they're going to make a great addition. My fiddler crab's taken up residence *inside* the filter, so I think he's safe :D
edmlfc1
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Elvis (Stars & Stripes) R.I.P. 9/11/11
125G:Fahaka (Annabelle)
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by edmlfc1 »

:badboy: Where's the pictures? :D
Need to know what kind of puffer you have? Click on Puffer ID.....Puffer ID: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
What to feed your puffer? Click on Feeding......
Feeding: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have a GSP, need more information......Click on GSP Article.....
GSP Article: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
caietaro
Puffer Fry

Post by caietaro »

OkieMavis wrote:Oh, sorry! I've forgotten all about this page. Well, there were 10 shipped in...and all 10 are still in the store, so I've been able to hang out with them a lot :P. They're like little puppies! Very sweet and expressive, well, for a puffer.

They are actually not particularly aggressive. They live in a 15 gallon tank and there's little more than a few nipped fins. It's heavily decorated with lots of rocky caves (was previously a Tanganyikan tank) and they really enjoy playing chase around the rocks. I'd certainly love to see them in a more appropriately sized tank, they are amazingly non-aggressive. In fact, a handful of very tiny guppy fry hopped over from a nearby tank and have grown up just fine alongside the puffers! However, they get fed daily snails by me, and they rip those apart- def not invert safe.
OkieMavis, are you by chance in Boston, MA? This sounds very similar to my LFS in Boston :) . They got in some puffers labeled as "Ninja Puffers" a little while ago that look exactly like the "red striped toadfish" in the PufferPedia.

I actually am in the process of setting up a tank that I was planning on using for a GSP that this LFS can order for me, but every time I go in I take a look at these little guys and think more and more about them instead! Only problem is there doesn't seem to be much info out there on them :?
OkieMavis
Puffer Fry

Post by OkieMavis »

Yay! I do work at Skipton's in Boston, and we had a nice chat the other day. I do hope you get those puffers!

I'll try to get some photos of the guys I brought home, the light over the tank is busted right now tho, so I can't really get a good one. Turns out these guys are even sweeter than I thought. I'd had a saltwater feeder guppy in the tank because the mudskippers liked chasing her fry, and she totally terrified them! They hid in a cave until I took out the guppy. Now they are cruising around the tank, and get along perfectly with the other fish in the tank (two small feeder mutts and a bumblebee goby). They did ravage the blue leg hermit crab population, but they deserved to be spoiled :D There's nothing aggressive about these fish unless it's an invert, and their teeth don't seem to be growing long, I don't imagine they'll ever need trimming like some other puffer species.
OkieMavis
Puffer Fry

Post by OkieMavis »

I wanted to revive this post as I recently found some info on them. I was randomly flipping through Dr.Burgess's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes (3rd edition) and came across these guys correctly named and with an accurate photograph! Amazingly, they were listed at full saltwater salinity. Not any other helpful info, but I thought that was very interesting! I have no idea where they got their info, but it's generally a well-regarded resource.
busybones
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: ******
(1)T. lineatus-Fahaka~Pookie 125 gal
(1)M. turgidus- Brown Puffer~Rowdy 30 gal
(1)T.nigroviridis-GSP~ 55 gal
Location (country): USA

Post by busybones »

Can't wait, I've never heard of them!