Mbu Pufferpedia?

This forum is now archived.
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Mbu Pufferpedia?

Post by groovitudedude »

I've never owned an Mbu, and I never plan on changing that. However, in the Pufferpedia, it states that the minimum tank size is 1000 US Gallons. Does anybody on this forum keeping an Mbu keep it in like a tank less than 200G? I heard that they do fine in a 150G if it's the right dimensions. Just wondering.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Mbu Pufferpedia?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Read the sticky on them in the FW puffer section, written by a man keeping puffers for over 50 years.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Also read the article by Manitius about Clooney, his Mbu, who recently died.

They just don't do well. I mean, I think RTR said you *could* get one to survive in a 500 or so gallon tank, but the fish just physically doesn't have enough swimming room and keeping the water quality good enough is nearly impossible in a tank that size.
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

I agree, a tank under 500G is not big enough to rpovide richness of environment and swimming room as well as the build up of watses. I had mine in a 115G(US) admitteedly with other fish and my Nitrates were constantly above 180ppm even with 200% water changes at times. Now that Clooney has gone my Nitrates is down to an acceptible 15ppm. That's how much waste these guys produce and only in a much larger tank can you keep these levels Dilute. I too cited the 1000G in my article because I defered to the superior knowledge and experience of RTR but I wouldn't have said it if I didn't beleive it to be necessary.

People that say that they can be fine in a 150G cannot say it untilthe Mbu has reached full size or lived for at least 10 years IMO. I would think that these fish could live 15yrs+ given a huge tank
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer

Post by groovitudedude »

Thanks guys (and girls). Just wondering :)
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Post by flash.dan »

groovitudedude wrote:I've never owned an Mbu, and I never plan on changing that. However, in the Pufferpedia, it states that the minimum tank size is 1000 US Gallons. Does anybody on this forum keeping an Mbu keep it in like a tank less than 200G? I heard that they do fine in a 150G if it's the right dimensions. Just wondering.

you can keep a mbu in a 150G..... you can also drive a car with your feet... doesnt mean to say its to be done
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer

Post by groovitudedude »

flash.dan wrote: you can keep a mbu in a 150G..... you can also drive a car with your feet... doesnt mean to say its to be done
I posted this a while back when i didn't know the true size of them. Thanks for clearing it up.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
synodontisjack
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Keeping:
tetraodon mbu
kept:
colomesus asellus,
carinotetraodon travancoricus,
carinotetraodon lorteti

Post by synodontisjack »

Ive got mine in a 180 at the moment but it wont be in there for too long. But my filtration is a 1500lph internal than a 3000lph external, i also do 30% water changes per week.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Keep in mind, filtration does not remove wastes from the tank, it just gathers up the solid particles in one place. The water is still "dirty".

Most of us do a standard 50% water change once a week for our "normally" stocked tanks. You might want to consider upping that amount.. keep a close eye on your nitrates. If they start getting close to or over 20, you'll know you need to change more water.
synodontisjack
Puffer Fry
tetraodon mbu
kept:
colomesus asellus,
carinotetraodon lorteti

Post by synodontisjack »

yeah i only got my mbu a few days ago and im gonna start to do 70% water changes as of today
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I hope you've got a Python!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

synodontisjack
Puffer Fry
tetraodon mbu
kept:
colomesus asellus,
carinotetraodon lorteti

Post by synodontisjack »

I hope you've got a Python!
i have an event better secret method 8)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

There are no secrets at TPF! Out with it!

sea7ray
Puffer Fry

Post by sea7ray »

Myaj wrote:Keep in mind, filtration does not remove wastes from the tank, it just gathers up the solid particles in one place. The water is still "dirty".
I wouldnt agree with this at all. Filtration does remove wastes by bilogical action of breakdown into less harmful chemicals (such as Nitrates) and by chemical action as with heavy metals by carbon. These are effectivly removed from the water column through these actions.
I would however agree that water changes should always be done. Not many puffers can cope with high nitrates and without water changes many micronutrients would be lost
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

The biological filtration only converts ammonia and nitrite, which is a small portion of the waste produced by fish. It does NOT remove the dissolved organics (such as sugars, fatty acids, and protein) that account for a majority of the waste, which is completely invisible to the eye.

In saltwater tanks, we use a skimmer to bind some of the dissolved organics (mostly the protein) to tiny air bubbles, which we can then collect in a cup and dispose of. For freshwater systems, this process is not nearly as simple, and requires a complex series of veggy filters, trickle filters, deep sand beds, and biofilters to keep things in "check". Even with all this equipment, it is extremely difficult to levels in order, which is why massive freshwater tanks are so difficult and expensive to keep.
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)