Midnight Arothron Puffer

This forum is now archived.
CtHM
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 beautiful SAP's, and 1 female DP.

Midnight Arothron Puffer

Post by CtHM »

Midnight Arothron Puffer
(Arothron sp.)

Thats all the info I have. It's a puffer on liveaquaria.com and I think it's beautiful, but I can't seen to find anymore info on it on google that one other pic.

I just want to know any more info people might have on this puffer.

Link to Midnight Puffer on livaquaria:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... id=237&N=0
"Little fishies go 'pook pook pook' "
~Lenore
Corvus
Mentor

Re: Midnight Arothron Puffer

Post by Corvus »

Likely a black color phase of A. nigropunctatus, which is highly variable with regard to coloration and rarely occurs with black areas that cover almost the entire fish. See A. nigropunctatus for proper care.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Yes this is a color morph of arothron nigropunctatus that are collected from the Solomon Islands.

This morph is gorgeous and usually has a higher price tag than the "common" dogface puffer.

While it is a nigropunctatus, it is not as hardy as the "common" dogface.

My avatar is a nigropunctatus morph.
Kelly
schlecht13
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Arothron Hispidus, Arothron Mappa (3 and counting!), Arothron Stellatus, Arothron Nigropunctatus (Black/Dalmation Variety), Arothron Nigropunctatus, Brown/Golden Variety, Chilomycterus schoepfi, Canthigaster Janthinoptera, Canthigaster Valentini, Arothron Manilensis (2), Arothron Immaculatus and Arothron Reticularis.

Post by schlecht13 »

I posted a thread with "my wonderful new addition" - a Valentine's gift from my wonderful girlfriend! He/She is is doing extremely well and besides the fins and a few "yellowish/greenish" areas around the mouth and eyes, is completely black. I will try to get more pics as I get better with the picture thing and aquariums...never have really tried until recently.

So far he/she (we'll justs say she since girlfriend seems to somehow "identify" each puffer as a boy/girl...not sure how but hey it sticks :)

So she eats just about everything - seems to really prefer harder foods - shrimp with hard shell as opposed to raw shelled which the others relish. Health is excellent - she does seem to do what many puffers do which is swim up and down the glass all day long - my larger Stellatus and Hispidus lay on the sand all day - lazy guys! They sure to come to when its feeding time - they'll go from 0-60 the second they see the jar that I mix the food in...

So I'll post more on the "Midnight Puffer" - definitely a Nigropunctatus as Corvus indicates above. Funny you called it midnight b/c somehow thats what we named her.... :)