Looking to take the dive into Puffers

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Cryptic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Looking to take the dive into Puffers

Post by Cryptic »

Hello all my wife and I have been keeping freshwater communities for a few years now and I have always wanted to try out puffers. I was recently given the go ahead to set up a tank in my office and was curious if you more experienced puffer keepers thought that would be an ok environment for one. My wife has concerns based on the diet requirements that it would be a little too intensive for an office tank. I was looking at a F8 as I will be getting a 20 gallon tank but am open to other suggestions. I was hoping to do a planted tank as well because we have a stockpile of plants to draw clippings from in our home tanks.

I am really looking for any and all information or leads on where to get started as a puffer keeper and am excited to join the community.

Thanks for reading!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Looking to take the dive into Puffers

Post by bertie 83 »

To be fair the feeding is not that bad, just lots of crunchy foods. The waterchange schedule of 50% minimum weekly gets most. If you go for a f8 you will need a mixing station to make brackish water too. You could go with dwarf puffers, massive personalities and attitude in a small package. Pretty sure some of the red eyes could live in a 20g as a singleton too
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Cryptic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Cryptic »

That's pretty awesome, I might have shifted gears skittle towards an Amazon just to avoid trying to mix brackish water at the office, I hadn't really thought about having to mix outside the tank but it makes sense...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

An Amazon puffer? Please don't in a 20g, it will just pace and drive you insane. They also need regular dentistry
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly