Hi everyone, setting up a puffer tank

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Hi everyone, setting up a puffer tank

Post by maccyg »

Hi everyone!

Can i firstly say this forum is great, a fantastic resource in helping me set up my first puffer tank.

I've been keeping fish since I was a child, started with tropicals and have since moved onto fancy goldfish, I have a 600l tank in my livingroom with 9 of them in, love them to bits but now I am looking for a new challenge.

I have recently bought a second hand 225l cube tank and my plan is to set up a brackish tank and stock it with 3 F8 puffers plus some bumblebee gobies and possibly a couple of orange chromides, that should suffice as far as capacity is concerned, I realise there is certainly the potential of aggression in that setup but I have heard mixed opinions on F8's tolerating gobies / chromides, some good / some bad so I would welcome anyone's personal experience with this.

I've bought my aragonite sand, set-up my Eheim 2217 filter, bought some beautiful rock to try my hand at an Iwagumi landscape and I'm about to start the fishless cycle, going to cycle it as a freeshwater tank and then slowly bring it up to 1.003 salinity, have already contacted a local aquatics who stocks F8's and he keeps his in brackish water (unusual for an LFS!).

All I need now is a refractometer / condensation cover / heater and and food of course!

As this is my first venture into brackish and keeping puffers I would welcome any input / opinions.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

maccyg
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hi everyone, setting up a puffer tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by maccyg »

Thanks - great article btw, I have read this before and it's really helped me.

Well today my task will involve giving the rocks a thorough clean and then I will try my hand at a bit of hardscaping, that may take a few days but with any luck I'll be able to start the fishless cycle soon!

Will post some pics up too
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Sounds good!
My Figure 8 is thankfully one of the more peaceful ones and has played nice in the past with another Figure 8 and Bumblebee Gobies the only problem was a halfbeak that bullied the puffers.