Possible lockjaw??

Look here for updates, announcements and the forum rules.
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
trynitey
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Possible lockjaw??

Post by trynitey »

I have a figure 8 puffer that is significantly skinnier than his other Figure 8 friend. I feed them snails and bloodworms and occasionally mysis shrimp. Krill is not in their diet as I've heard it causes trouble with lockjaw.

Now, my Figure 8 will eat but it's like he starts and all of a sudden it gets stuck like he cant continue eating or swallowing what he has currently eaten. I know he's starving and even though he's eating, I think he's just barely getting enough to keep him alive. He is healthy otherwise, just seems to get his jaw stuck or something and then because he's too busy trying to fix it and get down what is currently in his mouth, the other food has already disappeared.

Are there other reasons for lock jaw? Does this even sound like lock jaw? If so, what can I do to help him? Currently, I am putting him into a breeding container to feed him so he can get as much as possible but the stuck jaw or whatever it is seems to be an issue every time he eats. He'll eat a few bites and then one just manages to give him problems.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel bad that his belly isn't so round and is almost sunken in, unlike his friend.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Possible lockjaw??

Post by Pufferpunk »

My guess is either internal parasites of overgrown teeth. Please answer ALL the Qs above in red though, just in case something else is off.

library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/
library/hospital/dentistry/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
trynitey
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by trynitey »

I'm on my phone right now so I will get back to this but wouldn't you be able to tell if the teeth are overgrown?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes but you may need a flashlight to get a good look.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"