trapped air? or something else?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: trapped air? or something else?

Post by Pufferpunk »

How's his appetite? I'd treat him again for IPs, maybe with something stronger like Prazi.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): united states

Post by poopybarkflounder »

thanks for all of the help you guys, but the little guy didn't make it:(
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

aww that sucks...

I'm sorry. do you happen to know was the root cause was now that you are able to take him out of the tank?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

also, in hope that maybe i could figure out what happened i made mom mom cut him open (gross, i know thats why she had to do it) to see if maybe he worms or something. but i didnt see anything wrong. i would really like to know what happened to him before i buy another. i think i bought this one sick though.
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

and to pufferpunk, he always ate very well
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

i think i bought this one sick though.
Was he always looking that thin & sickly?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

not that thin and sickly, he always seemed happy. however his food would go away very quickly after feeding. i didnt know that wasnt supposed to happen until he got skinny. thats when i treated him. but he was very active and seemed happy up until today.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

So he had a round belly when you bought him?

poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

i wouldnt say it was round. no..but it wasnt sunken in.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by borgey »

Sounds like it was def IPs to me. Next time get some PraziPro or something like that and treat him ASAP! As soon as you get him QT him and treat him. With something like PraziPro you can just treat the whole tank instead of getting him to eat the medicated food.