Apologies for down time and any lost posts

Look here for updates, announcements and the forum rules.
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Apologies for down time and any lost posts

Post by Myaj »

I'm sorry guys! I went to shut down the chat room and by doing so, it took down the forum (this is part of why too much customization is BAD).

The quickest way to get everything up and running again was to do a restore to an earlier point from this morning, so you very well might see some posts missing.

I do have to take down the chat room, as it is causing issues with our hosting provider, and still need to do a big upgrade in the near future.. so I'm sure there will be other delays and downtime.. so I apologize in advance for those!
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

Re: Apologies for down time and any lost posts

Post by jus85411 »

i know there are issues with the server. im not technical at all but what all is needed to get us running smoothly again? what if i know someone who rents "virtual space" i believe in megabytes and terrabytes, hes crazy technical. has a security system at his house with cameras outside covering entrances it would put most local convenience stores to shame lol, he does web sites for small local businesses, he does something server based. he used to run game servers and was a "pirate" i guess you could say back when AOL was getting big and trying to shut down free web hosting parties like him that just accepted small donations. if this is something that might be able to be solved by possibly getting a good price on server space etc i can talk to him. just let me know. i asked something similar to this in another post earlier but it was a lost post
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

What is needed is simply an update of our software. However our software is so customized there's nothing "simple" about it. The easiest way to do it will lose most of our custom features (replaceable of course) but I need to find the time to sit down and do it, which is very difficult. Just trying to take down the chat room took me a few hours, to get everything backonline *sigh* It never goes smoothly!
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

:( sad chat is gone
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

i know, i keep hovering my mouse above the discuss tab to see if anyone is in the chat lol
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

WE are talking on ways to bring it back in a new and improved sort of way when the upgrades are done, just got to figure out how.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

im not complaining, just glad the site is back up. thats all we can ask for at this point if its either have a chat room but not site(no point lol) or a site with no chat
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

IP Board!!

;)

LOL!! just had to put that plug in there. On a serious note... it is a learning curve but doable. It will retain all of the board features and then some. I did a test drive of it myself and it is quite slick.

just my 2 cents.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

haha wish i knew what you were talking about :)
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

looks nice :)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I won't say that I will not complain - I am a master at that. But i am sooo grateful to have the board functional again that I will try to behave at least a bit.

;)
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Thanks Robert.. I should have known better than to mess with it when I was tired, but the databases it told me it was going to delete sure looked like they were chat only!

Next time we try anything major there will be an announcement as to shut down time, and a full backup done after the shutdown so that no posts are lost.. and then we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that the update goes smoothly and we aren't down more than a few hours.
~reefchik~
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Marbled Congo 30g X-high FW (fake) mangrove biotope
2 modestus in 20gplanted FW tank
1 male irrubesco 20g community planted FW tank
2 F8s 20g planted brackish
Cherry shrimp/snails 10g planted
2 Golden Retrievers
1 African Grey
1 Crazy cat
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Post by ~reefchik~ »

+1 to Invision PB
~Steph~
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

We are looking into it, having someone else be responsible for the upkeep and upgrading would be WONDERFUL, and it looks like they have everything we need/want. I have a few questions I'm waiting to hear back from them on.

Downside is we wouldn't have as much storage as we have here on our own host.. so we'd have to be a little more strict on attachment sizes, pruning older posts, etc. I don't think it would have a huge impact on us though. We'd have less control over customizing and special options, but that's okay, none of the staff here has time to sit and do custom coding anyways.. part of why we are in such a bind with our outdated software right now. We might also lose our current photo gallery content, but we could keep this one online for a bit to give people time to transfer over their images if they don't have them saved on their home computer.

Bigger downside is it would cost 2-3x more per year to keep the website going than what it does now.. but you guys have always stepped up and sent in donations when we've asked for them so if we go that route, we'll likely have to do a "donation drive" once a year to gather funds for our yearly fees (if there's no hidden costs, probably around $200-250 a year, very manageable IMO).