Help! New puffer behaving abnormally :(

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Shiggity
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Help! New puffer behaving abnormally :(

Post by Shiggity »

I'm new to puffers, though have had aquariums for six years now, but I am at a loss right now. I purchased my first figure 8 puffer about three weeks ago (I love them and have been so eager to have one). He is the only one in a 20gal (long) tank that I allowed two weeks to cycle before getting him. Things seemed to be going really well initially, but after my first tank cleaning last week (25-30%) he seemed to be a bit tentative/slightly shyer. Also, the day after the first water change I went to feed him his breakfast, which he greeted me normally, but as I tried to squeeze the worms out of the dropper, they got jammed in the tip and suddenly came out in an abrupt cloud, scaring my little guy and sending him to his favorite hide for a moment. He's still been eating regularly, but seems to be intimidated by the dropper (or could I be misinterpreting..) Anyhow, this is the main reason I am truly concerned now: After two weeks with the same aquatic set up, I noticed he would pace sometimes in the back right corner of the tank, or occasionally goes to the opposite side of the tank and stares at my other fish tank (they are side by side, about a foot apart). So yesterday I performed his weekly water change and used the opportunity to move around the setup and add another plant and a new hide. Now he's spent most of the past 24hrs pacing up and down that same corner of the tank. He left the corner for a bit to hunt his breakfast this morning, but I'm getting rather worried at this point.. I've ran all the tests I have here (ph 7.8, ammonia 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm) and the temp has been stable at 76-78F. His belly is still nice and bright white, I can't see and gray lines.. Should I just come in with some water or am I prematurely freaking out? Sorry this is so long, I'm just really attached to the little guy already.. Thank you so much for your time and help!!!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help! New puffer behaving abnormally :(

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please explain EXACTLY how you cycled this tank? You should be showing nitrate. What test kits are you using?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Shiggity
Puffer Fry

Post by Shiggity »

I used Stability by Seachem to cycle the tank for just over two weeks. I vacuum both fish tanks when I do a water change, so I usually don't see much for nitrates (the other tank is a 30gal, 4 mollies, 3 black phantom tetras, 1 bumblebee goby, and 6 Cory catfish that were born in the tank). I use the API Master Test Kit. I only go to a specialty store the caters only to freshwater-saltwater aquariums and these guys are really informed. They seemed convinced that my water was properly cycled and I brought them a water sample to test thoroughly before I brought my puffer home.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you use a bacterial supplement, you MUST start feeding it immediately, or it starves & dies. This means either add fish or ammonia. Otherwise, it's a total waste to use.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Shiggity
Puffer Fry

Post by Shiggity »

Sorry, I can try to be more specific. I set up the new tank using a few new plants/ornaments, but also using several plants and obstacles from my established 30gal to hopefully boost the cycle in the new tank. I also used the Stability as mentioned, which has the following instructions (I can't seem to upload photos): "Stability will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilm we in freshwater and marine systems...formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The bacteria employed by Stability are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide..." Then the instructions say to turn off UV/ozone. Give initial treatment (5mL per 10gal) day one, then 7 days of 5mL to 20gal. It says fish and other aquatic species may be added at any time as long as the dosage is maintained for 7 days, but I opted instead to put a few flakes of food in every couple of days. The only other chemicals used in the tank have been API Stress Coat Plus (removes chlorine, chloramines, detoxifies heavy metals (we have well water, but a filter as well, I was want to be precautions), and/or Prime by Seachem. I hope that helps more!