BLACKPUFF

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Spike801
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: currently 54 GSP residents transitioning to adopting homes.
Location (country): United States

BLACKPUFF

Post by Spike801 »

Rescued GSP from Pet Club

IP's, Fin Rot, tail clamped, black belly, good apetite.

Quarantined and treated 4 days with Paraguard, w/daily 25% wc - Brightened but still black belly

Followed up with 5 day General Cure food soak regimen. No change in belly. still black and underweight, tail clamping much less more emotional than from illness.

Recovered from the fin rot, color was good, bright attitude, but still exhibiting the black belly.
He had been quarantined 4 weeks and so I released him to a commune of 5 where his belly went normal white and he was actively exploring, but in a short time 1 bigger puff started harrassing him. I moved him to the hospital wards 37 gallon observation tank. He retained no outward injurys but his belly was black again. He began swimming up and down the wall endlessly.
I summed it up to possibly being an emotional issue.

I then introduced him to a different commune of 6 in a 55 gallon.
He swam to the bottom stayed there until the next day where i could see he was dark and was hyperventilating. Wanting to protect the others, i removed him.

He is now in the 20 gallon hospital tank where he is now resting on the gravel under the filter intake.
He is no longer hyperventilating, his eyes are bright, he seems quite willing and able to move about normaly, his apetite is ok, but not nearly as voracious, but his tail is clamped hard, he's shy of me moving him all over the damm place, and he still has the black belly and dark coloring

All 10 tanks are:
0 - amonia, nitrite, nitrate
8.0 - ph
sg - 1.008 - 1.012

daily meal varies bloodworms, prawns in shell, clams, mealworms.

25% w/c daily for all tanks for Shelter's bi-monthly Prazi-Pro deworming routine of which he has been taking part in since Monday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: BLACKPUFF

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I'm not sure if this is a real post - 54 GSP's? It might be the picture but Your puff doesn't look like a GSP to me and could be a fresh water species?
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

Yes, I thought so too. I was corrected once before by Puffer Queen that they are all GSP's, but I thought he looked more green. I think he may be a Green Puffer, but its terribly hard to tell with him turning colors from green w/spots to black. He does have the broad forehead and bulgy eyes of a Green or Freshwater.
I'm gradually reducing salt, and have only added StressZyme today.

Yes, I have 56 in 10 40 - 135 gallon tanks in good health for adoption.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

and before you scold me, I bought every Puff i could find to save them from starving in Walmart and I STOPPED every store from selling them in the SF Bay Area. I have successfuly rehabbed and rehomed 300+.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thank you for saving SO MANY puffers! I would have scolded you, if you didn't stop those stores from selling them, otherwise, you just continue to support them into buying more. A clearer pic would help a great deal.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Wow that's a lot of maintenance, it must take some dedication!

when you take the clearer pic we should be able to help more.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

20160402_220430-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

20160402_221921-2.jpg
Hes worse but eating.
Lowering salt didnt help.
I'm going to try the tank water he was so happy in until he was molested.

the tails so clamped and hes getting the death look.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

And thank you for responding!
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

Oh yes, Thank you, I have saved all the last deliverys i could reach from Monteray to Sacramento, and Livermore.
It's my calling to stop this tragic suffering. I knew I could do it, and I am reaching out to everyone to Speak to the Manager. PUFFS CAN BE REMOVED BY LOCAL MANAGERS.
Please spread the word!
And Im here to help with educational materials and coaching.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

20160402_224832-2.jpg
NOW i find this is going on in that tank. I think he infected it with gil flukes but they just went thru 5 day PRAZI PRO

this is on only the right gil
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

Is anyone on here much anymore?

I dont know who else has much experience with puffs. I've tried everything I can think of and he's not recovering or getting worse.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm following your posts but really have no idea what's going on with this fellow, other than what you have stated. Photos are still blurry to ID properly.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

While not entirely relevant I will say that with me living 30 mins from where Walmart HQ is located. I can attest that they have stopped selling puffers (and all fish) in their stores around here.

EDIT: Not sure what to make of that fishes injury. It would simply be inflammation or like you said, Flukes.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

^^^^^^^
That is ENTIRELY relevant! We're winning the fight!!!