Help please - unsure about my F8 mouth

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Camillarh
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Help please - unsure about my F8 mouth

Post by Camillarh »

Hey,

I have 3 F8 puffers, two are doing great (one likes to eat most of the food!) however, I have one who's mouth is more open than the others and I'm worried because I haven't seen him eat in a few days- he swims around a little less tha. The other two but otherwise is healthy.

How do I insert a picture from my iPhone?

Last edited by Camillarh on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help please - unsure about my F8 mouth

Post by Pufferpunk »

Upload them to: www.photobucket.com & link them here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

His teeth don't look overgrown, are they? What diet have they been eating?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

Is he/she in a fish bowl?
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Camillarh
Puffer Fry

Post by Camillarh »

I'm afraid he died in the night :(
He hadn't eaten in a while, I feed than frozen bloodworm and krill Pacifica, cockle in she'll, and sometimes live bloodworm and stuff. Snails are in the tank too and sometimes o get live shrimp but hey don't last long (not sure if it's the puffers or the brackish water than gets them in the end.

I don't know how to see if the teeth are overgrown- I did try and look but couldn't see teeth, to prevent this from happening again is there other food that I can offer? They love bloodworms but I don't think they're crunchy enough? They're not keen on the krill Pacifica much I always end up hoovering a fair bit afterwards
Camillarh
Puffer Fry

Post by Camillarh »

scpion wrote:Is he/she in a fish bowl?

He's in a fish tank - it's a Cleair Apple shaped one :)
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by bigpuff »

What sized tank and was it brackish or freshwater?
Camillarh
Puffer Fry

Post by Camillarh »

bigpuff wrote:What sized tank and was it brackish or freshwater?
It's 30 litres and yes it's brackish - monitored the other two today and they're eating and seem pretty happy - I hope they weren't bullying him and he didn't get chance to eat?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

30 litres? Did you mean gallon? If litres you will need a much bigger tank in the very near future to keep your pair happy and healthy
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

+1 to the above. If it's 30 litres then we can't even guess at what was wrong because the underlying issue was most likely that it was in too small of a tank. The rule for F8's is 15 gallons (57 litres) for the first one and 10 gallons (38 litres) for each additional one.

What kind of salt are you using, aquarium or marine salt? What's the salinity at?
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

Also did he have white spots on him (ick) or is that just bubbles in the photo?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »