Fahaka Puffer Sick. Advice please.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Fahaka Puffer Sick. Advice please.

Post by 12345 »

Hi all,

I have had my Fahaka for about 1 year now. Got him at about 2 inches and now he is about 4 to 5 inches. He/she has been chomping away on defrosted raw shimps (with shell) cut into small chunks, with small snails and half clams.

3 weeks ago, I noticed that he wasn't eating as eagerly and noticed at one point white stringy poop. I later found out the the heater was faulty and was off. I usually keep the tank at about 82 and I am sure it was in the low to mid 70s.

I have had discus for a while and the first thing that came to mind with stringy poop was hexamita. I went ahead and replaced the heater and dosed the water with Metronidazole as per directions and found him seemingly better after 2 weeks.

Now I noticed that he is still eagerly wanting to eat the last 3 weeks but is eating 1/4 as much as when he was when he was healthy.

It's a great sign he wants to eat but he take a few bites and lays at the bottom with labored breathing.

Any suggestions? Should I continue with metro or possible dose the food that he is willing to take? I have not had the chance to see any more poop from him.

Thank you so all in advance for any advice.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Fahaka Puffer Sick. Advice please.

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Could you answer the questions in red at the top of the page please?

White stringy poo could be internal parasites, does he look skinny?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

1) Your water parameters -

- pH: 7.5
- Ammonia: 0
- Nitrite: 0
- Nitrates: 0

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything.

- Tanks size is a 180gal with no other inhabitants.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

- Feed him once a day when I come home from work. Started with 1/8th of a defrosted frozen raw shrimp, to about 1/4 size prior to him being sick from possibly the broken heater. Now he is taking is about 1/8th of a shrimp and lays at the bottom like he has over eaten with labored breathing.

- I do about a 40% to 50% water change once a week.

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

- No changes apart from the heater failing on me.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

- Tanks has been set up for about 4 years and did not go through any cycling while he was in there.

PP: I have read that article before and its very informative. I just did not want to jump to conclusions with possible dosing since I am not familiar with Puffer's sensitivity to meds. I am sure I will get great advice with you once I provide adequate information :)
Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

Just a quick update. I have not done any meds yet and am feeding him his usual shrimp when he is up at the window looking for food.

He just has not been the same and can't seem to consume as he use to before laying on the bottom and breathing hard. At this point, I remove the unfinished shrimp/food and he just sits there for a while.

Today, he has not begged for food and is just hiding at this point.
Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

Just another observation I wanted to share.

For the last few weeks, it appears as though he/she is taking smaller bites of food (almost appears like he/she can't cut into the food as well as before, and also spiting it back out instead of chomping the shrimps and vacuuming them down like before.

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!!
Last edited by 12345 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

It's strange that you aren't showing any nitrate - are your test kits in date? If he is struggling to eat then it could be a case of overgrown teeth - are you able to tell or post a picture?

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here but hope you have a good one yourself!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

A single 4-5" fahaka in a 180g with no tank mates, may show very little testable nitrate. What test kit are you using?
There is no harm at all, in treating a fish for IPs. You must treat his food. My suggestion is to try live earthworms (I purchase them at Walmart). He may not be getting a varied enough diet. Did you also read this article?
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... ur-puffer/

I am also a bit concerned about his teeth. Can you get a good shot of his mouth?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

Thanks for the replies, I will try to post a pic as soon as I see him come out.

The test kit is a API liquid kit. As far as I can tell it has not expired.

So live earthworms from walmart safe to feed? Are they sold as feeders in the fishing department?

Do I have to do any prep work? Do I feed the whole earthworm?

Presoak in Metro or Prazi? If so, how long?

Sorry about all the questions, I have never feed earthworms before.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, they are safe to feed. I would get him eating them 1st. Can you get a syringe from your vet? Then, you could inject the worms with the prazi. I'd still like to see his teeth though. He may just be looking for a more varied diet, too.

Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

Would soaking the worms in the prazi first work? I don't have a syringe on hand. If so, how long do I soak it for?

I went to get red wigglers and nightcrawlers. Which one should I feed?

Thanks PP!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It would kill them, which would defeat the purpose of feeding him attractive wiggling food. I had no problem getting a syringe from my vet for this purpose.

Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

I probably won't be able to get one today being that it's thanksgiving.

So should I try the red wriggler or the night crawler? Coated with Prazi?

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I guess you could try that. Either worm will do.

Puffer Fry

Post by 12345 »

Here are a few pictures I took of him this morning. He did not end up taking any live worms and ended up taking a couple of small pieces of small shrimps dusted with Prazi.