Swollen Puffs

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Spike801
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: currently 54 GSP residents transitioning to adopting homes.
Location (country): United States

Swollen Puffs

Post by Spike801 »

This is PuffCorps

I had to make a new account to log in, but thats another matter...

I have had several GSP's become swollen. Color is good on most of them. The are dark and this ranges in each from completely dark on the rounder leopard marked ones, to a normal healthy white belly on the torpedo shaped green spotted ones.
Everyone has good appetites.
Some are tail clamping, others not. the leopards are huddling on bottom. 1 figure 8 in the bunch is very swollen. she is in a lower salinity tank 1.008.She is very active and last night for the first time I saw white stringy poop from her. I suspect a a parasite again, at least in her case.

This started 6 weeks ago in 1 tank and has traveled somehow to all 10 tanks. Not all fish are affected.
I treated with General Cure, Prazi Pro, Tetrocycline, and Metro.

water parametors: Amonia-0 Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0-30, PH-7-6
SP-1008-10012
All tanks are cycled
Water changes dumped up to 25-50% starting 2 weeks ago. Filters were flushed and new pads added. I use Prime, and baking soda.

Please advise.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Swollen Puffs

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds like you are throwing a LOT of different meds at them, without knowing what's wrong. Puffs are very sensitive to meds, as also the supporting bacteria in those tanks.

Pics would help.

Try dosing Epson salt: 1tbsp/5g, to reduce swelling. Are they pooping regularly? What are you feeding them?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

I guess I should have been more specific. Not all the tanks have been medicated. and not all those medications have been given to all the fish. This is where it gets complicated because i have 10 tanks. I usually removed them to the hospital tanks if it's only 1 fish who is having issues. the 1st tank to show swelling was then treated with gen cure , then 1 week after Prazi Pro.
I haven't seen anyone poop except the stringy white just yesterday. but there is plenty of waste when i vaccum,
They eat blood worms, raw shell on prawns, meal worms, and last week when Pleasanton became the last Walmart in the district to stop selling Puffs, they had a lobster tail.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

Oh, and I only give them 1/2 the dose of course, but i wander if i should try giving them a little more, like 2/3 a dose. i havent medicated anyone in about 7 days. I realy think it could be parasites, but i've never seen swelling like this until recently.
I'll get some pics for you. and go to the store for Epsom salts. Can i just sprinkle it in the tank water?

Thanks!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Your nitrate range is really wide. It is best to keep this under 10ppm.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wouldn't half-dose prazi, otherwise the parasites get immune to the drug.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

Is Prazi Pro safe at full dosage for Puffs?

Which is the safest and most effective parasite medication to use? I have to be very careful with new puffs. All the stress they've been through at Walmart has left many so weak I worry the meds will finish them off.

Nitrate spiked in 1/2 the tanks 2 weeks ago. Increased frequency of my w/c, and has come back down to "normal" by what the API test says.
Do you have anything in particular you use to keep it down besides w/c?

I'm going to try the Epsom salts.
Thank you very much!
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

i have 1 or 2 pics, but don't see here how to post them.
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

The epsom salts dont seem to have helped. i put in 5.5 table sponns in a 55 gal tank. Just nervous about them having a bad reaction overnite while i was sleeping. Its been nearly 24 hours. Should I add more?
Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

thats funny.
I posted 2 more replys today.
but they dont seem to have gone through.
I wanted to say
my puffs are still swollen inspite of the epsom salts. Should i add more?
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Not sure about the extended Epsom dose this is definitely one for PP. To post a pic upload to photo bucket. Best way to post from there is resize to length of 500. Copy as I'm and paste the link in your post.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Epsom salt, like adding any other salt, does not dissipate. I gave you the dosage for BW/SW fish, for FW, it's 1/2 that. No need to re-dose, unless you're removing with a WC, then figure how much you've removed & replace.

If all your fish are coming from Walmart, then my guess Walmart gets them from the same source & keeps them in the same holding facility in Malaysia or wherever they catch them from. I can guarantee you they are quite overcrowded--full of disease. :( You already know by now, how I feel about supporting Walmart's sale of these poor creatures. Your time would be better spent filling the executive's emails with letters about this!

Spike801
Puffer Fry

Post by Spike801 »

In defense of Defense, Rescue and Preserving Walmart Puffers.
Rescue works when you back it up with action.
I tried boycotting, I tried turning my back on the suffering puffs, and just writing. It was a leap of faith when I decided to stop the suffering right here and now for every puff I found.
I opened my home to them, and work diligently everyday towards an end to this cruelty. These puffers are not trash to be ignored. They are every bit as good as those bought from your LFS. The majority of these Puffs who even survive Walmart, grow and develop to their full potential. Some are stunted and are not as pretty, but they often are adopted by kind hearted folks.

It is my organizations job to recruit everyone who loves Puffs to take action on this. Walmart is not an entirely hostile corporation. I have found the managers to be open to the issues I've raised regarding their inability to adequately care for them. My manager in Pleasanton went so far as to call a meeting with his regional manager and the marketing manager concerning Puff sales. They found it serious enough to put in a request to stop sales throughout CA. Quality Pets withholding proper feeding instructions, and the Tetrododoxin issue were news to Walmart. This is why 8 stores stopped selling them here.
I suggest if you love puffers as much as you claim, that you put your money where your mouth is and get to work. Not everyone can do what I have, but at east you can tell others my story and not say discouraging words to those who woulld be willing to try.
Those interested in stopping sales in their area can contact me for support at my website. All are welcome to copy and share my press release with their local Walmart manager. You will see as I have, Walmart is people too.
Boycott doesn't work, Rescue and Education does.

my website: www.pufferfishrescue.org

The issue I asked for help for, is still unresolved.
Everyone looks and is acting the same. I'm wondering if the water company has made any changes. Back in April they started pulling water from the bottom instead of the top and ir changed the ph in our water dramatically. I'm suspecting the water. Thats the only thing the communes have in common. I keep a mild bleach bucket to dunk their paraphernalia in. The quarantine and Communes have separate cleaning equipment. I cant see how it could have spread.
Also, when puffs are cleared to join the communes they go to the first tank which is the 1/2 way house where they are still monitored for signs of illness.As they await adoption. gradually, i release them into general society, the 9 communes.
This swelling began in #6, which houses puffers who have been residence for as much as 7 months.
So it is unlikely to have been brought in with the recent rescues.

I soaked their food with Prazi overnight and the reluctantly ate.stuff must taste pretty bad.

Thanks for your help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try adding garlic to enhance taste.