Red Growth coming out of mouth

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
deb-puff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Red Growth coming out of mouth

Post by deb-puff »

Hi All,

I have recently been given the job of taking care of the puffer fish at work. I am a beginner at this. We have a 20 gallon tank with about 10 guppies and 1 puffer fish named Crick. The water is brackish. I feed Crick bloodworms but he also eats hermit crab pellets and fish flakes that I give to the guppies. I've changed the water once -- when the algae became pronounced. That's all I have.

Crick currently has a red fibrous growth coming out of his mouth. Unfortunately, I am unable to attach the photos I've taken. The growth has gotten very large and it's affecting his ability to eat and who knows what else. I've researched this using google with no results. I've also taken photos to a local pet/fish store and they said they had never seen anything like it but suggested I try an erythromycin bath. They said fungal infections would be white so it's more likely to be bacterial.

I'm posting here to see if any wise folk would be willing to offer advice.

Many thanks,
deb
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Red Growth coming out of mouth

Post by Pufferpunk »

Need more info & pics are a must! Upload them to www.photobucket.com & link them here. Please answer aLL the Qs above, in red.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
deb-puff
Puffer Fry

Post by deb-puff »

Thanks Pufferpunk.

Here are some recent pics (sorry they're a blurry -- he's too active for the camera):

Current Information:
1) Water parameters: Unknown/not tested/no numbers available.
2) Tank Size and Inhabitants:
20 gallon tank
about 10 guppies
fist size mass of algae (Chaeto algae)
3) Feeding, water change schedule, products in tank:
feed about 10 bloodworms or 4 hermit crab pellets once per day
water change schedule is once every 3 weeks
tetra whisper filter unit
gravel, and rocks at the bottom
4) Changes in the last week or so:
water change (replaced 50%) of tank water (use 20 L of deionized water containing 490 g of Instant Ocean Sea Salt)

The person who brought the aquarium as a "side project" has left the workplace and asked me to take care of the aquarium. Apparently Crick has had the red growth for months.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Definitely at a loss on this one. I would highly recommend getting a good liquid test kit. As well as something to measure the salt levels. Hope someone has some insight for you on this.

P.S. love the spots down the side. Gorgeous gsp you have there.
Last edited by Welch4 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's got to be some sort of tumor. I'm surprised the poor puff can eat at all. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

deb-puff
Puffer Fry

Post by deb-puff »

Thanks for your replies. Crick's spotting is very cool!

Not sure if the erythromycin baths are doing anything. The pet store folks are now saying it might be lymphocystis (growth from a viral infection). However, the growth is not a solid mass.

So, I've trimmed off a bit of the red stuff. As I mentioned before, it's very fibrous. It actually separates into fine thread-like strands. I'm going to have a look at this under a microscrope (if I can find one).
deb-puff
Puffer Fry

Post by deb-puff »

Managed to wrangle up a microscrope. Under the 'scope, the offending organism is filamentous and segmented. I'm thinking algae. If I'm correct, this would pretty much rule out fungal pathogens and cancerous or viral tumors. I'm wondering how an algae could be rooted so firmly in Crick's mouth. Anyways, I will consider blocking out light and consulting with the fish store people about algaecides. If someone has other suggestions please share them.

Thanks,
deb
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP

Post by TheStig »

Please post updates as you continue to figure it out. I hope Crick is able to recover from this, and live a long healthy life.

If you think you can remove it after research n consulting w/ knowledgeable people, I have seen and read safe method of sedating a fish, using a clove oil bath. There is information about it online, if this is a route you want to take.

Good luck, and good on you for taking care of Crick.
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

NOTHING safe about using clove oil. ONLY use it for permanently putting a fish out of it's misery. It stops breathing function & causes brain damage. Use MS-222 (Finquel) if you're going to tranq for any surgery or procedure.

TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP

Post by TheStig »

Good to know. There are a lot of videos, including one filmed @ a vet's, that used clove oil to sedate puffers who needed dentistry done.

It is scary, the information available out there... esp when it comes from multiple sources. It solidifies the importance of always double-checking with what is available on the internet.
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk