Does my GSP have some form of parasite or ich?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Crispyb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Does my GSP have some form of parasite or ich?

Post by Crispyb »

Hi guys,

I am a occasional silent reader on these forums and I now would like to seek some advice.
I have a 30gal with sand substrate. I have 2 GSPs(1 I bought a bout 6 months ago and the other for about 3 yrs).

Last major change was adding a small GSP from lfs about a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, it died exactly after 1 week after purchase.

Parameters:

Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 pm
Ph: 8.2ppm
Ammonia: 0 -.25 ppm (very hard to tell b/c of my lighting)
Temp: 82F (Usually 80-81F)
Semi-Brackish 1.001
Fluval 206 Canister Filter and air bubble stone
Plastic Ornaments and caves

I noticed a somewhat prominent white spots on my 2 GSPs late last week. I kept an eye for it a couple of days and increased salinity and temp to 82f. Now my oldest gsp has dots and a white streak on its side close to the tail. I started daily water changes with 50% on the first day and about 30% for the past 3 days. I started a recommended half dosage of Malachite Green last night without the carbon. Is this ich? And is my approach on tackling this correct?

They both eat healthy with frozen blood worms, freeze dried krill, and some live ghost shrimp and snails.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Update with additional info:

They both ate bloodworms this morning seemed not getting worse. I just got home and noticed my small GSP is curled up(literally) in his cave and dark colored, but is out and about when I turned on the lights. Still a bit discolored even when swimming around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does my GSP have some form of parasite or ich?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hard to tell from your pics but I would not use meds on these fish. See the Salt/Heat method thread in this forum & there is a good article on treating ich in the Hospital section of our Library. Your tank was fully stocked before you added another fish. Now, you need to upgrade & raise the SG.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28113
library/hospital/fwich/
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Crispyb
Puffer Fry

Post by Crispyb »

Thanks PP!

I actually read through the salt/heat method, but was worried to raise the temp and several questions popped in my mind. Since it is currently at 82F, I will raise it to 84F and use the recommended salt. I only have kosher salt, so can I use this instead of the table salt? I have been using Instant Ocean Marine salt to make the water somewhat more brackish.

I guess I use the table(or kosher?) salt in addition to the Instant Ocean? Or just the recommended salt during treatment and then switch back to Instant Ocean? Should I also do a water change and add back the carbon since I already started a little bit of treatment with Malachite Green, and if so how much.

Much appreciated for your advice.
Crispyb
Puffer Fry

Post by Crispyb »

Just an update.

I have kept the temp at 84F and referred to the heat/salt treatment since my last post and they seem to get better. The white spots has rescinded for the most part, I did see it appear every now and then. At times they are somewhat dark colored/heavy breathing near the impeller&heater, but seemed better overall, normal, and attentive when I approach the tank. They also seem normal when my family is in the living room(where the tank is located) and looks like they want to participate with them.

I plan on stopping the treatment this weekend and resume normal temps and water changes. Anything else I should keep my eye on?