Gsp anenome sting

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Gsp anenome sting

Post by Welch4 »

So i made a bonehead move again. Not thinking a tank addition through fully. So a Condy anenome was recently added to my tank. I noticed a few days later that my GSP now has a pure white dot on the center of his back, I am assuming this is from a sting, If someone could confirm from the pic. If it is a sting is there any action i should be taking? Does the nem pose a threat to my puff? The nem did mange to work its way in a pocket in a piece of LR if it does need to be remove i think it will get destroyed. The puffs behavior hasn't changed at all so other than the dot he seems fine.

You can see the purple tips of the nem in the back.
40 long setup around a year ago
ph 8.4
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate under 5
sg 1.030 ( had a salinity spike in the tank due to improper top offs working on getting this lowered with upcoming wcs)
temp 82
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Re: Gsp anenome sting

Post by Welch4 »

So the puff is still fine. He does seem really causious around the nem so I do think the white dot is from a sting. Anyone know if the color will come back to this spot or does he have this for good?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It might come back, not sure. HATE condys!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

If I can get access to the nems foot I'll pull it out and bring it back to the lfs. I don't want to have to break the the piece of lr it fell into I may try to go at it with some ice cubes tomorrow. I feel really bad about him getting stung it was super timid to start off with. It let it's prior dragon/brown barred goby tank mate bully him. Another owner mistake. Are condos particularly bad? Not that I'm interested in another but are the other nem types that are less of a danger to our puffs?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Condys are serious stingers
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

If I do try to forcefully remove this nem anything I should be aware of?. Are the toxic at all? Does it pose any risk to the puff it it rips when I attempt to remove? Don't want to hurt my little guy anymore with this thing if I can avoid it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

No problems, other to the nem. My fingernail has always worked well.

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Yea if I could get my finger at it I would remove it. But when it settled in it passed through and a 3/4" opening in the lr into a cavity a little bigger than a golfball. I was thinking if I hit it with some crushed ice it would close up and I could blow it out the top with a powerhead.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Couldn't get at the nem. But on the bright side the dot from the sting is gone just a tiny scar you can only see if your looking for it.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

So the condy has come out of its hiding place. And it has stung my GSP again. About a week ago I added a small captive bred ocellaris. Is there another species of nem I could add for the clown that would be less harmful for the gsp?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Clowns don't need nems. Mine was hosted by a frogspawn & here they are being hosted by my leather:

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Nem is getting pulled out in the morning. Thank you as always.