Mbu Puffer - WHITE SPOT

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Mattbruce
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Mbu Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Mbu Puffer - WHITE SPOT

Post by Mattbruce »

Hi,

When I came to feed "Sugar Puff" yesterday my friend pointed out that he had white spot! After looking myself I can confirm that he has only had white spot for a couple of days now. After asking him what it was he said it was caused by stress and is 'fish cancer'!!

Can anybody help how to cure this!?

My friend and avid fish keeper said to add salt, so we added 2 teaspoons of salt. But after talking to the shop I got Sugar Puff from he said to add 40 more?!

Tank Details -
290 Litres
Snowball Pleco (Frosty)
Leopard Pleco (Leo)
Bristle nose Pleco (Sock Puppet)
Upside-down Catfish
Red Tailed Black Shark (Fudge)
3x Elephant Nose
Large Orange Chilid Thing
Goby

I have been told that Plecos don't like salt and can kill them?

Also I used to have a Colombian Catfish but on Saturday Evening I came home to find him dead at the top of the tank. He had white spot i guessed and passed it on to Sugar Puff, I thought it was air bubbles as he used to swim through the air feed. But I guess not after I found him dead.

Please can somebody give some guidance on how to cure my Puffer!

Many Thanks

Matt
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Mbu Puffer - WHITE SPOT

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fish cancer??? Your friend is nuts! I wouldn't listen to another thing he tells you about fish. Please answer ALL the Q above in RED.

Your fish are sick because of the stress of overcrowding. Here is how you cure ich: library/hospital/fwich/

Columbian cats are high-end BW-SW fish. He was in the totally wrong conditions. Please start doing some research on the fish you are buying.

290l = 76gal. Your tank is HORRIBLY overstocked & not nearly large enough for keeping even just the single mbu. Please return the puffer, so it can be housed properly. PLEASE DO RESEARCH ON YOUR FISH!!!
library/puffers-in-focus/mbuforyou/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mattbruce
Puffer Fry

Post by Mattbruce »

Thats why i've come to guidance on this forum

Please explain "high-end BW-SW fish"?

Also my puffer is only small - around 5".

I am planning to upgrade and get a tank alone for himself in the near future.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That puffer grows FAST! You have read the link I gave you as to how LARGE a tank the mbu requires? 90% of people who plan to upgrade never get to, as in this poor unfortunate puffer's story: library/puffers-in-focus/mbuforyou/

The Columbian shark lives in saltwater as an adult.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Mattbruce
Puffer Fry

Post by Mattbruce »

Feeding - Usually Cockles / Prawns every 4-5 days
Tank has been setup for about 4 weeks now and has been thorughly cycled for a 4 days without no fish in then added a pleco, colombium cat(no longer in tank), grey shark (no longer in tank) and a rainbow shark ( fudge)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH please.

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Cycled for 4days? Just left running empty? Was any established media added/ live bacteria? You have found the right place for puffer care but unfortunately you are setting yourself up for disaster. Some of your fish require very different conditions as mentioned above. Your tank is unlikely properly cycled as this can take weeks or more when done properly. Lastly you have lots of fish that require lots of room, your mbu will require 100s of gallons alone if not more. I think you should maybe put this down to experience/ mis-guidance and return the fish. You can then set out what you want from your tank and we can help you set it up properly and go from there. Sorry if it sounds harsh but as I stated before you could be heading for a disaster here
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Mattbruce
Puffer Fry

Post by Mattbruce »

The water in the tank is from the shop that I got the Mbu from.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please read the 1st 4 articles here: library/category/water-filtration/

Mattbruce
Puffer Fry

Post by Mattbruce »

Guys my puffers been in a tank with ws3 and after 2 days he's only breathing from his right gill somebody please help!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ich is a gill disease. No need for t new thread, this problem is a continuation of the same issues. Until you remedy the overcrowding situation, your puffer & other fish's health will continue to decline.

scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

Pufferpunk wrote:Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH please.
If u can't tell us, we can't help. But I bet the water parameters are way off.
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Mattbruce
Puffer Fry

Post by Mattbruce »

Got my friend to take a water sample to LFS, will get the results for you.

I know that my nitrates are a bit off. Looking for medias to put in the filter to reduce them.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Nitrates can be easily reduced through waterchanges. But to keep them down with the bio-load you have you would likely need to do at least 4-5 50%+ water chances a week.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly