Worming My Congo Puffer

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Worming My Congo Puffer

Post by pufferpuggirl »

So I've had my Congo puffer just less than a month (got him 14 November), and I did a worming with praziquantel immediately, even though he wasn't showing any real effects from parasites. I did notice that ever since having him, he wouldn't open his tail, he would keep it very tightly closed, and he also breathes very heavily. Then about a couple weeks ago, I seen the "string of pearls" poop in his tank, but I also noticed that he was opening his tail and using it as normal, but the heavy breathing continued. I seen more stringy poop the following day as well. He's been eating good all along, though sometimes he completely regurgitates all of his food. I was worried about him so last night I found my 'Tank Buddies' wormer, which of course has 4 medications instead of just praziquantel, and I dosed him with that. I observed a huge stringy poop this morning, so maybe he still has issues, though I am hoping this 2nd worming will get him through it.

Does anyone think his heavy breathing is anything to worry about? I do recall my other Congo breathing a bit heavy, but not sure about this one. I was going to do a water change, as the water looks a bit cloudy and I need to get that poop out of there. Should I do another dosage any time soon? It has been ages since I've had to worm a puffer, as I've had most of mine a while and/or they've been in very good health.

Thanks everyone. :)
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Worming My Congo Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

Dosed the tank or his food? FW fish don't drink water, so dosing the tank is a waste & non-treatment.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

So you don't think puffers absorb medications through their skin at all? If they are so sensitive to chemicals, I think they must .... and it's worked before, but we'll see. I have never had good results dosing food, as the puffer usually doesn't eat it.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You MUST treat internal parasites internally.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to the food dosing. I was constantly having to dose the tank due to the white stringies untill i learned to does its food.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
dma1976
Dwarf Puffer

Post by dma1976 »

Just soak the food in garlicguard and a drop or two of Prazi, don't overdo it.

Also, the Prazi decreases oxygen in the water so add an air stone or two. That could be the reason for hard breathing.

Good luck!
Puffacus
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada Winnipeg Manitoba

Post by Puffacus »

I use to breed and raise discus and when I was first learning I went out and bought a bunch of discus from a local store and at the time didn't know how to tell from improper shape to being stunted so at the time I went simply for the colors and out of the group I had a blue diamond discus that wasn't growing like the rest my friend suggested I treat for internal parasites so I used prazi at the suggested dose and I did not add any to the food and within an hour tape worm was coming out of the blue diamond
the next dose again done in only the water tape worm was pouring out of the little guy and then 3 days The discus died so I would say that you are safe with adding just to the water for at least tape worm and of course couldn't hurt to add it too food as well. Good luck
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

FW fish do NOT drink water. No way can the meds reach IPs without medicating food. My thought is your discus was so overloaded with worms, they were coming out the other end. The discus died! I don't see how you might think this is helpful info.

fatpuffer
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by fatpuffer »

I also thought treated "baths" work as well. I treated my apisto with levamisole but I treated the tank and not food. This link also say prazi may work as a bath: http://www.fws.gov/fisheries/aadap/PDF/ ... 7feb07.pdf

I am not sure how accurate these are but I am interested as I am getting a new puffer soon and may want to do a prophylactic treatment.

Thanks.

Js
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Again, FW fish do NOT drink water!!!

fatpuffer
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by fatpuffer »

do they have to drink to absorb meds?
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

8)
Pufferpunk wrote:Again, FW fish do NOT drink water!!!
Can they not absorb the meds through their skin PP?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Not into their gut.

Walla2GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: "Tank" - Dogface Puffer
"Mule" - GSP
'Bob" - GSP "Rescue"

Post by Walla2GSP »

What PP is saying in case you still aren't getting it, is that worming medicine is designed to attack parasites in the stomach. Getting the medicine into their blood stream via skin absorption does you no good when you are trying to attack parasites in the stomach. By treating the water you have slightly changed the puffers water chemistry causing him stress, but have gotten little or none of that medication to the parasites where it is going to aid your puffer. There are medications that might do your fish good by skin absorption, but obviously it's not gonna work with worming medicine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said.