help me save red-eye puffer!

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

Re: help me save red-eye puffer!

Post by AquaMike »

Yea, they were going to be more as a treat so he can hunt them. My good LFS offers small quantities for cheap. I've also always heard that they have some sort of laxative affect. Is there any truth to this?
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

I wouldn't keep them in the same tank... :( little dp will probably get eaten
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

So I got some new worms for him to try! I wanted to get the smaller red earthworms but they must have been old cause there was fuzzy mold on the soil and some worms were oozing out. Needless to say I didn't get those. I did get some nightcrawlers though. Knowing they are very large I was a little concerned at first. I also picked up some mealworms and live brine shrimp. These are the results:

*nightcrawlers - cut into ~1/3, rinsed, & gently squeezed some of the black "poop" out. I've never seen a fish so excited! But boy do they make a mess. I feel like I needed to do a WC after feeding him it. I could only imagine the mess larger puffers make.

*mealworms - crushed head (held with tongs) & rinsed. Took him a second, but then went to town

*live brine shrimp - really no interest what-so-ever...

How much should I feed him? I feel like he's eating a lot and I don't want to over-stuff him in his current state, but I also feel like he could eat the entire container of worms if I let him. I feel for you people with large puffers. They must eat you out of house and home.
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

So a lot has been going on with him and the tank the past week. This guy is a glutten! However, the new insanely messy food I give him to fatten him up hasn't raised my nitrates so I'm happy.

I have to work on a video, hopefully while feeding just cause that's the most fun. I'm questioning him and the other puffer now though. Maybe I should just let it be till they figure it out, but I most likely will move him.

The last 2 show significant improvement, especially in color (his back/yellow markings and even eyes) and stomach size. The first one is just him saying hi. Felt like a pretty successful first week. We'll keep improving.
Last edited by AquaMike on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

Pics!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Much better!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was a little nervous when my pea puffer went for the same bloodworm as Red (guess this name'll work for now). Somehow the little girl won and Red left her alone.
I totally missed this! Please put your DP in a different tank. It is doomed, living with the other puffer... :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

That puffer is looking much better! Keep up the good work with it! :thumb:
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

Thanks guys. As soon as I can catch my pea puffer she has a 5.5G ready for her.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

If you take a jar or plastic bag, you can chase her into it with a net :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

My little girl was moved successfully. What a pain it is to catch a 1" fish in a heavily planted tank! Luckily puffers are softies when it comes to food, and that helped me lure her. I was nervous about her stressing out and puffing, luckily it did not happen.

More good news! Red is starting to get some red coloration in his fins. Feeding has been going well still. I usually fast my puffer (DP) for a day once a week-ish. Since I'm trying to fatten my new guy up, should I bother fasting or just keep going till his appetite diminishes (if possible)?
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
*1 palembang puffer

Post by AquaMike »

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMwZYrhigg

*the only thing I'm left concerned about is the girth of his entire body. His stomach has filled out a lot, however, when you normally look at a puffer he is girthy straight through his entire body, or at least most of it. Best comparison I can make for him (cause it's hard to tell in the pic and videos) is that of a human torso. Take someone that is bulky from the bottom of his lungs up, and then his stomach down is skinny (not sunken in). Did that make sense? Will this eventually fill out???
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

Yes, compared to my male irrubesco he still seems a little bit skinny. But he seems active and eager to eat, so he will probably fill out with time. My guess is that the stomach fill up extremely rapidly from food itself. The areas around, for example under the head between the mouth and the stomach (where your borneo look skinier than my red tail) may be filled up by muscles/fat/reserve, that will accumulate more slowly as long as your puffer is well fed.

In fact when I look at him it makes me think of a fish that was well fed so grown well, then has been on a forced diet and used his reserves (he still has the good size and the skin that came from the good food). Some other skinny puffer makes me think they never had enough food during their growth period, but it's not the case here, the general shape and size looks good. I think your male should be back in excellent shape quite easily