pale f8, lethargic, help please!!

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

pale f8, lethargic, help please!!

Post by martini57 »

So one of the new puffers looks a little pale to me, compared to the other one. Also she( I call this one the girl, no particular reason why) seems to be less energetic than the other one. I have also noticed her laying around on the sand, while the other one zips around the tank constantly 'hunting'. Both of their bellies are white, and she is eating great; not as aggressive as the other one though. And whenever I walk by she always comes up to greet me and appear to get a little darker in color(not grey, just colors a little brighter and more defined).

amm- 0.25( possibly due to Prime, discussed in another thread)
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 20 ppm
pH- 8.1-8.2
SG- 1.002, 80 f
I don't have the kh/gh test yet, but when I took my water in yesterday to get it checked, they did a strip which had it on there. it said pH was 8 and one of them( I can't remember which one, sorry) but I thought it said something around 300? and very hard. I didn't get a good look at it, he threw it away before I could write everything down and didn't want to do another one.

30 US gallons, 40% WC on Tuesday. Had the f8's for a little over a week, essentially had to restart the tank almost 2 weeks ago. added safestart when the puffers came in. So its possible that I am overreacting a bit, but it is much easier to solve a small issue than a big one and if its something I should be worried about then I want to know what kind of stuff I should be monitoring for, other things besides water parameters which I test daily.
Last edited by martini57 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: pale f8?

Post by RTR »

I would suspect that your water is quite hard. But if they are using test strips and not liquid reagents, the testing is not likely to be very accurate. If you are on a public utility, you can get a profile from your water utility which is at least accurate on what leaves their plant. You might give them a call. Baseline info is better than no info.

When you have con-specifics in a tank, you have to expect that one fish will be dominant. We can't differentiate males and females among F-8s. Is the set-up visually complex and are their at least semi-sheltered resting sites for the puffers?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I didn't even think about that, I will give them a call and see what they say. Thanks! As far as the tank being complex, I think that it is. I made a slate structure with caves and swim throughs, as well as a lot of fake plants of varying heights and a tree stump decoration(fake) that also has swim throughs and is a cave. I will upload a picture for some input.

And I know that we can't determine the sex of f8's, that's just what I say they are :)
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I haven't heard back from the water company yet, but the f8 is getting a little bit worse. Still eating, but laying around a lot, on leaves and on the sand. Definitely not as chipper as she was. I did a 25% wc tonight, even though the water was the same as before. Nitrates might have been slightly higher but not considerably. She seems weaker as well, and a little bit lumpy possibly. No places around me have prazipro but I think they have tetra parasite guard. I would have gotten it sooner I just forgot whenever I went to the pt store. I guess I will just dose the bloodworms and treat everybody. I have the frozen bloodworms that come out in the cubes, so if I were to thaw an entire cube, how much of the parasite guard should I add?
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: pale f8, lethargic, help please!!

Post by martini57 »

I got API parasite stuff, because no tetra parasite guard. They are packets of powder, each packet has 250 mg metronidazole and 75 praziquantel. I only put a tiny sprinkle in the bloodworms mix, maybe 1/10 of the packet if that yesterday. The puffers might have eaten a few of them but spit mot of them back out. The f8 is very lethargic now, won't come to greet me, hiding and laying around and breathing hard. She is very pale. Her abdomen is definitely lumpy, and it appears that the lumps almost have a grey ring around them, like her coloring though, not like dead tissue. The water is fine amm-0-0.25, nitrite-0 nitrate -10, temp 79 f, sg-1.003, ph 8.2. All her fins look fine, she isn't getting bullied. I don't know what else to do. Should I increase the temp on the tank? Should I dose the water since she isn't really eating any of the food?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Higher temp may increase appetite. Soak the worms in garlic to help with that, too & enhance flavor.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Higher temp may increase appetite. Soak the worms in garlic to help with that, too & enhance flavor.
yeah that's what I was thinking. From experience with having to force metronidazole down animals throats, I know that is tastes HORRIBLE. I also had a vet that I worked for made me taste it. And it really is that bad, I am surprised they ate any of them. Can I use regular crushed garlic, or is it essential that I get the special kind made for fish? I am also thinking about getting some panacur and dosing with that, to cover all bases. If I were to increase the temp, what should I go up to? and should I feed more frequently? obviously only 1 medicated dose a day.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd increase to 82. Crush a fresh garlic clove. I feed the med foods as often as possible, since they're not getting much in. Even when they spit it out, something is getting in.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Ok will do. I added a long air stone last night, just I case there wasn't enough oxygen. It may have helped a little bit, but I can't be sure. It does seem like she got something out though, because today she seems very very skinny, almost deflated in sme areas. Although there is a big round bubble in her abdomen, similar to after they eat but this seems harder for some reason, if that makes any sense. Besides bloodworms, what other foods are good to medicate with?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Go with what she prefers. You can inject meds into larger worms.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Ok, I made a mysis shrimp and bloodworm mixture with meds and garlic. So I'm going to let that soak in for a little bit. I'm gonna test the water in a few hours and I'll post that on here when I get done with that. The temp is up to 80 now, I've been increasing very gradually so I can make sure the heater is working correctly. I get nervous when changing the heater much in case it got too hot too quickly and I didn't notice. I did use the hydrometer and I checked the salinity, and I am a bit confused. So when I did the water change a few days ago, the new water was sg 1.004 and the tank was 1.002 or 3. But I just checked the tank and it's 1.001.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Maybe there were bubbles on the hydrometer arm? How are you mixing the salt?

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I knocked it around and didn't see any bubbles. I also did it twice and got just about the same reading. I went out and bought a 28 gallon brute trashcan. So I filled it up to about 20 gallons maybe a little bit more. And I let it mix with air stones and a submersible filter that I had for a turtle, doesn't have any filter media in it, so essentially its just a power head. But I let it mix for a few days, I would check it and add more salt until it got to 1.004.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Well it appears we are making progress, she appears to be passing a worm as we speak. I am curious as to what kind it is though. It is translucent but whitish with what looks like some kind of dark circular head or something
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Probably need a microscope.