Sick Figure 8 Save-ME

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Sick Figure 8 Save-ME

Post by Pufferpunk »

I really can't tell for sure why your puffers keep dying. Are you getting them from the same source every time? It is possible they are all coming in sick from the same stock. The fact that you refuse to take a FW cichlid out of BW, makes me doubt your long-term fishkeeping abilities though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
iuryzardo
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Figure 8
Brackish water 1004 sg, 26 c,  pH 7.9 , Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 0, 200L.
Location (country): Brasil, Brasilia

Post by iuryzardo »

Well, I am always getting my F8 from the same store, same source, because very hard in Brazil and even find these types of Baiacú, in fact, everything I know about mostly about the baiacús F8 was acquired here at the courthouse. I do not understand exactly what you said about the ciclideo, but if I understand well… I keep my ciclideo in my bowl because this ciclideo and a species that lives in water salobra as well as the F8 and he is totally fine with the very vibrant color. For two days I am repairing that another one of my F8 that was super healthy, now stay hidden and always very close to the surface, looks at the vertical thread clipped the thermostat, that is normal?
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Post by TrevorA »

iuryzardo wrote:Well, I am always getting my F8 from the same store, same source, because very hard in Brazil and even find these types of Baiacú, in fact, everything I know about mostly about the baiacús F8 was acquired here at the courthouse. I do not understand exactly what you said about the ciclideo, but if I understand well… I keep my ciclideo in my bowl because this ciclideo and a species that lives in water salobra as well as the F8 and he is totally fine with the very vibrant color. For two days I am repairing that another one of my F8 that was super healthy, now stay hidden and always very close to the surface, looks at the vertical thread clipped the thermostat, that is normal?
The fact that your cichlid hasn't died in unsuitable water does not make it OK. That's the point, and indicates you are possibly doing other things wrong too.
iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

I'm getting worried, my F8 does this now wanting more swimming and eating very little, so it is touching the thermostat all day, what do I do?
iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

TrevorA wrote:
iuryzardo wrote:Well, I am always getting my F8 from the same store, same source, because very hard in Brazil and even find these types of Baiacú, in fact, everything I know about mostly about the baiacús F8 was acquired here at the courthouse. I do not understand exactly what you said about the ciclideo, but if I understand well… I keep my ciclideo in my bowl because this ciclideo and a species that lives in water salobra as well as the F8 and he is totally fine with the very vibrant color. For two days I am repairing that another one of my F8 that was super healthy, now stay hidden and always very close to the surface, looks at the vertical thread clipped the thermostat, that is normal?
The fact that your cichlid hasn't died in unsuitable water does not make it OK. That's the point, and indicates you are possibly doing other things wrong too.
Most who spoke this in my cichlid improper waters? This cichlid species live in brackish water, my cichlid this in a perfect water parameters for it
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What species is this cichlid? I think your puffer is beyond help at this time of his life.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

My ciclideo is " Etroplus maculatus ". But I need help with my F8. Please help and I do not want to lose another one, how can I know if there is any internal parasite?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, I owe you a HUGE apology, that really IS a BW cichlid!!!

library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/

iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

Pufferpunk wrote:LOL, I owe you a HUGE apology, that really IS a BW cichlid!!!

library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/
Pufferpunk thank you, really I'm more sad about all my losses, my F8 died without I do not even know why, the only thing I suspect is that it is internal paraisata, what do you think can be?
   I'm worried because now my a blowfish is demonstrating the same symptoms of the others who died, he gets very pale color, and suddenly a little better, is changing from one color tone more intense for a weaker well. Help me. This is normal?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I am afraid you are buying from a collector that perhaps uses a poison to capture them. I do not know how to remedy this.

Can you purchase them elsewhere?

iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

Pufferpunk wrote:I am afraid you are buying from a collector that perhaps uses a poison to capture them. I do not know how to remedy this.

Can you purchase them elsewhere?

Pufferpunk here in Brazil the F8 is a very rare and litte people has this fish, I believe even if it is caught in rivers, in my regia there are two stores that sell fish to order, the store I shop is very reputable and I believe which is also the same supplier that sells to both stores, ie not change anything. Here in Brazil nobody knows anything about the F8 then create them is very difficult, and I am dedicating more searching here in the forum, so prescisso help from all of you. This question of how they are caught I already asked for the store manager and she got to know where they come from.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I cannot think of any other reason your puffers continue to die while your cichlid is good, other than that they all come from the same source.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Post by martini57 »

this sounds exactly like what happened to my figure 8. besides being thin and not eating, can you tell us anything about the f8's behavior and physical appearance? are there any physical sores or ulcers, redness or inflammation? before they died, did you notice anything abnormal about the feces?
iuryzardo
Puffer Fry

Post by iuryzardo »

Before he died he became very Quito stopped, and slimmed down a bit. Now just died my other 2 F8. Dessisti F8 to create and I will disassemble my beautiful aquarium, the F8 last he died he was just quiet and did not want to eat, put her belly was as round as ever.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Post by martini57 »

I am sorry for your loss. So all 5 of the f8's died? What size were they?