new f8 dying right now, can i do anything?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

new f8 dying right now, can i do anything?

Post by martini57 »

got f8 today, been swimming a little funny but I thought he was just stressed out. looked in tank half an hr ago and he wasn't moving his tail at all, just going with the current pretty much, looked closer and his tail is very very swollen and red. then he completely blew up and then deflated himself. I scooped him out with a jar and put him in a bucket( only thing I have) with an air stone and treated water with prime and added melafix. now he is just laying on the bottom not moving, and barely breathing. is there anyway that I can help him? I don't want him to die but I had to take him out of the main tank because the other 2 are perfectly fine. amm-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-between 10 and 20.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: new f8 dying right now, can i do anything?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm afraid you probably stressed him worse by moving him. Both those products are fine to use in your main tank. As a atter of fact, it should help with the fin damage on the other 2. I'd get the SG up to 1.002, also. Keep a very close eye on the parameters, testing often, throughout the day & keep searching for Safestart. You can order it online & have it shipped overnight.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

I found safestart today after I begged the employees at petsmart to look through boxes in the back for it. took a lot of convincing though. The other puffers kept following him around the tank, he was mainly just floating with the current, and pestering him. Do I have to take the carbon out of the filter?
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

sorry about that, the grey spot is not on the dying puffer its on one of the ones that is acting fine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you're using Mela/Pimafix, then yes, remove the carbon. Really isn't necessary for your tank at all. You added the Safestart to the filter? When?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The grey spot may just be a pufferbite.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

at 11 am. that stuff seriously works.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

but back to the dying puffer, what do you think it could be? very swollen and red tail, completely unable to move it. honestly, he seems pretty inflamed all over. So my guess is bacterial, as well as parasitic. I'm going to consult my parasitology book( I am a registered veterinary technician, so I'm great with pretty much everything except fish which we never really discussed) for treatments for worms as well as protozoal parasites.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds like severe bacterial infection due to poor shipping. Is the fish in QT? I'd get salt in there, Melafix & Maracyn or Tetracycline.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

He didn't make it unfortunately. thanks for your help though!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

So sorry.... Kinda figured, as bad as he was. I'd get your $$$ back for him. At least you now have 2 healthy ones. Your tank couldn't support 3 anyway.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

Yeah I knew he was going to die too. and I was thinking the same thing, I only ordered 2 and never planned on having more puffers than that. still sucks that he died though. Since I have 2 f8's, do you think I could get a few bb gobies? its 30 gallons
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You could but they never lasted with my F8s. Others have had success.

martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

But if I want to try it then I pretty much have to put them in now right? the puffs are still really small, although they have been arguing with eachother today. but its really only when I come up to the tank. but there is a better likelihood of it working if I introduce them asap?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, probably... Is there plenty of decor breaking up lines of sight? Post a FTS, if you can. Load it to www.photobucket.com & link to here.