URGENT! Sick puffer

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
livelife2
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

URGENT! Sick puffer

Post by livelife2 »

My green spotted puffer is sick. His belly is sunken in and is not white, and more of a grey color, and his overall color is not vibrant...so I know there's a problem I just don't know exactly what's wrong, and the proper treatment. I can tell he's weak. He's not zipping around the tank, and is moving slower, and bumping into the tank. I feel horrible because I kept putting off a water change and the tank was very dirty. I know it's been at least two weeks, which is horrible I know. I feed him pest snails, and make sure he has a constant supply, yet I don't over feed to the point his belly is super bloated. (I'm wondering if he got sick from possibly the pest snails too) I know the water is definitely part of, if not all the problem. I did not do a water check, because I wanted to immediately change the water since he was barely moving around. He is still wanting to eat, and trying. I did the water change a day ago and he seems a LITTLE better. His colors are slightly more vibrant. Is there anything I can do? And what do you think is wrong? I'm so stressed over my baby. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: URGENT! Sick puffer

Post by bertie 83 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, continue water changes for a start. We need water test results and answers to all the questions above in red. Sounds like your puffer has internal parasites so it will be worth you nipping out and getting some of the jungle parasite fizzy tabs to treat his food
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
livelife2
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by livelife2 »

Thank you for responding!
Sorry I forgot some things, and realized afterwards, and I couldn't edit it.
As far as cycling I have a filtration system with cartridges, and the tank has been going for about a couple months.
The tank is about 15 gallons. Unfortunately ( I am kicking myself once again) I did not test the water before the water change. He is starting to be more lively and his colors are more vivd. His belly is a little fuller, yet still sunken in the sides somewhat.most likely I'd assume the water change helped, therefore he is eating more, and has more energy. I have friends who are pretty knowledgeable with fish since they work in a pet store with freshwater and saltwater fish, yet no one seems to have a clear cut answer. They said I'm doing everything right as of now, and I should keep an eye on him and if he's still not better in a few days then look into medicating. They didn't give me an answer as far as parasites. Should his belly be nice and filled out not just underneath but on the sides as well? I'd assume so, which is why I'm wondering if that's a sign of parasites.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I would put money on internal parasites being the culprit, treat the food with a suitable med, treating the water is pretty pointless. Water changes often perk up sickly fish slightly, especially if the water is less than perfect. However getting medicated foods into a puffers belly to treat ips ASAP is a very good idea, even if it is just a precaution.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

still waiting to see the water parameters in your 15 gallon tank
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, please test the water now.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"