GSP with IPs, Recovering? Need Advice.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
The Bloop
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

GSP with IPs, Recovering? Need Advice.

Post by The Bloop »

Hello,

We have a just-out-of-juvenile stage green spotted puffer in a 10 gallon tank, we were hoping to switch him over to a 30 gallon soon, but that is neither here nor there at this point considering he (Gnocchi, AKA The Bloop) appears to be sick.

I'll list some basics:

1) We took water samples to our local pet store to be tested, and while I don't have hard numbers, their fish guru who has cared for GSPs himself said it was kosher. Sorry for the lack of detail, I could try to return to the store again and get details.

2) 10 gallon tank with just the GSP.

3) He is fed a rotating diet of mysis shrimp (Hikari brand), gut-loaded blood worms as treats (Hikari brand), and raw in the shell medium white shrimp. Sometimes pond snails when we can get them. He still feed him until his belly is rounded. We do a 10% water change approximately once a week with a gravel vacuum and a scrubber to clean off algae on the walls. The salinity of the tank is currently .005 (Instant Ocean), as we've only recently/slowly been introducing him into a brackish environment. We had been simply letting the water naturally cycle out the chlorine by standing for 48 hours, but have begun adding API Stress Coat for water changes instead.

4) The only change we did recently was adding a new decoration, an artificial stump for him to hide in, to the tank. Except for the addition of API Stress Coat solution to new water this past week, all other things have remained the same.

5) We used a Tetra 10 Gal. Deluxe Aquarium Kit as our start up. Without adding the fish, we let the tank cycle with the filter for two days with heater, gravel and decorations back in November, adding a safe start solution.

About last Monday or a bit earlier (2/24), I noticed he had a slight bulge on the right side of his belly. He continued to behave normally, white belly, active and eagerly taking food. Around Wednesday (2/26) night, he drastically changed - dark belly, laying on the bottom of the tank, unresponsive, or weakly swimming, also bloated with an open anus. We immediately took action and consulted a few puffer forums and our local fish store. From all other accounts and advice, IPs were the problem.

We performed about a 15% water change (it was a scheduled one) and followed the instructions for Tetra Parasite Guard (taking out carbon rocks from the filter, etc.), as it was the only treatment with praziquantel we had access to.

We have done 3 treatments since last Wednesday, with 48 hours between each and a water change preceding. His bloat was not decreasing and we tried 2 TBS of Epsom salt into his tank as well to help him along (he doesn't like peas we quickly found out). And while we thought him on the brink on Friday he appeared to bounce back over the weekend. During this time, we did not feed him (except for an attempt with a few mysis shrimp thawed in tank water with Parasite Guard, which he nibbled at) because of the alarming bloating/he was unresponsive. We've also witnessed him rubbing his belly on the gravel.

Staring on Thursday night I noticed a short white string with a few globs dangling from his anus, and two more since. During the past weekend, I had also placed a heater near his tank on a low setting (our tank heater is non adjustable) and he seemed to respond well with increased activity and passing of the third 'white string'. There is currently no outside heater as of the last Parasite Guard treatment.

As of Saturday afternoon, he's had semi-normal swimming and behavior and taking food, yet he still seems weak and less responsive than before. Currently, his belly is still mostly dark and his anus still open, but his bloat is down and he's starting to look a typical size. Last night we fed him gut-loaded blood worms thawed in tank water with Parasite Guard and he was attentive in finding and eating them, but seemed to have trouble keeping them down sometimes.

We feel like we've done all we possibly could at this point, and are unsure if another full treatment of Parasite Guard is appropriate. Any advice as to why his anus is still open and belly dark is appreciated.

Thank you,

The Bloop
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP with IPs, Recovering? Need Advice.

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
The Bloop
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by The Bloop »

Thank you, Puffer Punk! We've been pouring over those awesome tutorials ever since we got him in November, and have been trying to follow them to the best of our ability, but we're stumped at this point. We're going to try another water change tonight, however we're not sure on if another treatment is acceptable and how long the turn around time should be.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you treating his food? It does nothing, if you treat the water. Treat all his food for 3-5 days.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you treating his food? It does nothing, if you treat the water. Treat all his food for 3-5 days.