i'm worried about one of my Green Spotted Puffers

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
LynnePuffer
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1" Green Spotted Puffer: Pancake
And
1" Green Spotted Puffer: Peanut
Location (country): United States of America

i'm worried about one of my Green Spotted Puffers

Post by LynnePuffer »

So just got 2 beautiful Green Spotted Puffer Fish. They are still decently small and I know I need to get a bigger tank for them because a 2 Gallon Tank isn't big enough (Will do when I have the money for it.) I totally love them.

Anyways! To the real issue: So I've heard different things about their bellies turning black. One of my Puffers, his sides turn black at random times, stay black for a bit, then his belly turns all white again. Its only down the sides where the green scales and white belly meet that he turns black.

I'm really worried, though.

I feed them Ghost Shrimp and Snails but they also like Flakes, so I feed them those too. I have a small filter for the water, I put aquarium salt in the water after water changes, and I also have tap water treatment stuff. So any advice? Am I doing something wrong? Is he going to be ok?

I have another puffer in the tank with him and his belly stays white all the time and is generally happy. He is upbeat, likes to eat, likes to look at me with big cute eyes. He seems totally natural in the tank. Soo once again, just give me any advice that you can.
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: i'm worried about one of my Green Spotted Puffers

Post by JRC3 »

Did you mean to type "2 gallon tank"?

And what other puffer is in with them?
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The real issue IS the 2g tank, considering even if they're only 1", they need a minimum of 10g each.
Please answer all the questions in RED.
Also, please read: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=28469
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Petco was having their $1 per gallon sale. (at least in my area) Please try to at least get a 30 gallon for them. They have a huge bioload and can quickly make the water toxic in such cramped conditions plus they love to swim and explore. That 2 gallon tank should be used as nothing more than a temporary quaritine tank.

You can also check out craigslist they often have people selling 55gal complete setups for around $100 or less.

You also need to get a hydrometer and a product called instant ocean which has vital additives which aquarium salt lacks.

Please dont feed them flake food as a staple diet or even at all as your puffers may accidently injest airbubbles attached to the flakes which can kill them.

Not trying to sound harsh just being honest. We all love our puffers and we what them to have the best living conditions possible and to help others be good puffer parents in the process. ;)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's been a week now--wonder what happened to them?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LynnePuffer
Puffer Fry
And

Post by LynnePuffer »

Thank you for the advice, even if it was a bit harsh. As soon as I possibly can, they will be in a bigger living quarters. I know that is a very big issue and I'm definitely looking into it. So far, both puffers are ok. The one I am worried about still has the gray edges, but they do go away and when they do he is very, very happy. Thank you, and I will be updating everything for these guys so they can live long happy lives.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Harsher still, will be their impending deaths. Please upgrade TODAY or return them!
You must add Tetra Safestart to cycle their hew tank.

PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

I agree with everyone above. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm learning myself just how much money it takes (with salt, not aquarium salt) to keep a GSP happy and well. But, to answer your question, I notice mine gets the same coloring on his belly when I feed him too much and his belly is big. It always goes away. Also, you have to remember 2 GSP together when they are young may be okay, but one will likely be picked on by the other (causing stress and death) and/or may get eaten. Just something to watch for as they mature.

Best of luck. I'm worried if you can't afford to upgrade now, you may utlimately have a difficult time meeting their needs. They need good filtration etc, I'm finding the Instant Ocean is an expensive myself, though I'm willing to provide it.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm afraid this is going to end really badly... :(

LynnePuffer
Puffer Fry
And

Post by LynnePuffer »

Both fish are still alive, happy, and well. They are in a larger tank, are eating minnows, snails, and any other treats I can get them. Thanks for the harsh advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yippee!!! I'm so happy for all 3 of you! Don't feed them fish please, they're not piscavores: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28566

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

That's great news, glad its all going well. Sometimes the advice given seems harsh but we are all passionate about puffers and their care. Don't take it to heart
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Fantastic! Good for you that you were caring enough to do what it took to get to there.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

:) Awesome!

IME It really hurts to lose a beloved fish. Hopefully now you will not have to deal with that situation for a long time.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.