Dogface Puffer Emergency - we have No experience, need help

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: UPDATE Re: Dogface Puffer Emergency - we have No experience

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Cool Reef wrote:What is everyones take on the pictures?
Setup? Reefs color? The live rock? Where Reef has been hiding? Is that normal for him to hide?

Do you think he misses his former owner?

Update: Reef came out and was swimming around right before we left. We had turned the light off. Is he going to tend to hide when the light is on and comeout when it is dark? That would explain why he has been hiding all morning, because the light was on all morning too!
As far as the setup goes, you really need a bigger tank. 100 gallons is the minimum, and bigger is always better.

Hiding can be very normal. I highly doubt he misses his other owner. They will know a person, yes, so it may take him some time to adjust to you guys, but he will be fine; give him time. The move has probably stressed him out is all. It's hard to judge his colors unless you have a before picture of him, as well.

There is speculation that you shouldn't wear red colors around them cause it frightens them, but that's about it.

Just give him time to adjust and he will become more personable with you guys. Try to sometimes sit NEAR the tank, but not with your faces right against it or anything. Just have chairs about 10 feet away, and don't WATCH him with all your might or anything, just be there so he can watch you at times and try to get used to you. Once he realizes you guys feed him, he will love you.

Definitely get a test kit and get your parameters in check. Also, what was his previous SG at?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:There is speculation that you shouldn't wear red colors around them cause it frightens them, but that's about it.
This makes sense as I noticed my GSP's seem to hate me being around when I wear a red shirt.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

sgtmyers88 wrote:
Nuclear_Glitter wrote:There is speculation that you shouldn't wear red colors around them cause it frightens them, but that's about it.
This makes sense as I noticed my GSP's seem to hate me being around when I wear a red shirt.
Yeah, it seems quite a few people have noticed this. Some people also have trouble with pink, because it's so close to red.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:
sgtmyers88 wrote:
Yeah, it seems quite a few people have noticed this. Some people also have trouble with pink, because it's so close to red.
I was drying myself with a 'MANLY' bright pink towel once and walked by my puffer tank and the puffer totally freaked, zoomed all round the tank banging into the glass and then hid.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Arny wrote:I was drying myself with a 'MANLY' bright pink towel once and walked by my puffer tank and the puffer totally freaked, zoomed all round the tank banging into the glass and then hid.
Lol. Your MANLY bright pink towel.
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

You sure he didn't freak out because you only had a towel on? "OMG, really?! Go put some clothes on!!"
I mean, it'd be understandable since puffers don't have eyelids and can't close their eyes.
Arny wrote:I was drying myself with a 'MANLY' bright pink towel once and walked by my puffer tank and the puffer totally freaked, zoomed all round the tank banging into the glass and then hid.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Re: Dogface Puffer Emergency - we have No experience, need help

Lol. Afraid you're going to drop that towel at anytime.
Cool Reef
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Reef - Dogface Puffer aka-Reefy, Reefer, Reefster
Location (country): Charleston, SC, USA

Post by Cool Reef »

Salinity is the same as he has been living in, got water tested. Everything was in check but pH was a little low at 7.9 we will just add salt RO water to the sump rather than fresh as the evap takes place.

Got a test kit, and picked up some more live rock (totally cured out of the display case like recommended) to increase the rock ratio like you told us to.

Replaced the carbon filter, and the phosphate bag, replaced the sump filter and the sponge.

Reef ate two clams on the half shell, but he just ate the meat, there was no chewing on the shell to grind teeth. What does everyone recommend to ensure proper girding is occurring?

Finally, Reef has been scraping his teeth on the glass a lot and looks almost angry when he does it. It this normal behavior?

Thanks all!
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

If you are using RO water that that could be the reason for the lower ph. Most seas salts has buffers added and should do the job and aragonite sand is also a great natural buffer. And why are you using carbon in a SW tank? SW tanks dont need carbon because it has been known to remove trace elements and such.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Cool Reef wrote:Salinity is the same as he has been living in, got water tested. Everything was in check but pH was a little low at 7.9 we will just add salt RO water to the sump rather than fresh as the evap takes place.

Got a test kit, and picked up some more live rock (totally cured out of the display case like recommended) to increase the rock ratio like you told us to.

Replaced the carbon filter, and the phosphate bag, replaced the sump filter and the sponge.

Reef ate two clams on the half shell, but he just ate the meat, there was no chewing on the shell to grind teeth. What does everyone recommend to ensure proper girding is occurring?

Finally, Reef has been scraping his teeth on the glass a lot and looks almost angry when he does it. It this normal behavior?

Thanks all!
Well, 1.018 (or even 1.020) isn't quite ocean salinity. You may want to bring it up to 1.023 at the least (Do this over a couple of weeks so you don't shock anything). What sort of test kit did you get? You need to check your water yourself, the LFS (local fish store) is crap most of the time when it comes to everything. How many pounds of liverock do you have now? Also, it may not have been a good idea to just dump local fish store liverock into your tank, as it may has diseases/parasites on it. This is why I recommended the site that sold the dry rock and a bottle of Dr. Tims. What sort of filter are you using in the sump and what sort of media do you have in it? Changing all that stuff out at once may not have been the best idea.

Try to get him to eat some sort of crab or snails for more crunch. He may have always scraped his teeth on the glass, who knows. It could be a way to beg for food, or he may feel his teeth are too long. Try not to think he's angry or mad at you guys, cause I'm sure he's not.

You guys are doing a great job for beginners and I am sure this is a very stressful situation for you, so I want to say keep up the excellent work.

Read the directions of your testing kit VERY carefully, then do your own test and post us the results, that way we can all help you further.

Again, good job guys and keep up the excellent work! =]
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:If you are using RO water that that could be the reason for the lower ph. Most seas salts has buffers added and should do the job and aragonite sand is also a great natural buffer. And why are you using carbon in a SW tank? SW tanks dont need carbon because it has been known to remove trace elements and such.
Everything you just wrote is totally wrong. RO water IS what you want to use for top-offs. Carbon does not remove trace elements & is very beneficial in SW/reef tanks.

Please do not concern yourself with pH. And adding salt is not the best way to raise it. You are also raising the salinity. Give the fish a chance to settle in--it's in basically, a "new" environment.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

Pufferpunk wrote:
FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:If you are using RO water that that could be the reason for the lower ph. Most seas salts has buffers added and should do the job and aragonite sand is also a great natural buffer. And why are you using carbon in a SW tank? SW tanks dont need carbon because it has been known to remove trace elements and such.
Everything you just wrote is totally wrong. RO water IS what you want to use for top-offs. Carbon does not remove trace elements & is very beneficial in SW/reef tanks.

Please do not concern yourself with pH. And adding salt is not the best way to raise it. You are also raising the salinity. Give the fish a chance to settle in--it's in basically, a "new" environment.

Now this must be new to me. Never heard that carbon was needed in a SW tank. Articles over the years claimed that carbon removed trace elements. But I have not had a SW tank for years so this is new news to me..lol And I was told that RO water lowers ph if not treated with a buffer and this is also new to me. I wish all the so called experts make up their minds over the years..lol Sorry that I gave wrong info. Oh and btw, I think the salinity is a bit low for that dogface, imo.
Chris,

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

RO water is the exact same product that has evaporated from the tank--nothing more. I use carbon/Purigen in all my reef tanks.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

Pufferpunk wrote:RO water is the exact same product that has evaporated from the tank--nothing more. I use carbon/Purigen in all my reef tanks.

Im talking about reverse osmosis treated water (filtered water). Are we talking about the same thing? And Seachem Purigen is good for the tanks since I like Seachem products.... :D
Chris,

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, I use RODI water for topping off all my tanks.