My GSP is running into the tank glass and is blind

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
titanoboa100
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: My GSP is running into the tank glass and is blind

Post by titanoboa100 »

I have begun my ICK treatment today. My tank temp is at 85 f. I will try to get it to 86 f. I currently have 2 tbsp of salt in the water today.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Great! Did you look into the vitamin C?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Pufferpunk wrote:Great! Did you look into the vitamin C?
Hey PP, what's the name/make of the vitamin C you use?
titanoboa100
Dwarf Puffer

Post by titanoboa100 »

The white ick spots seem to be deminishing. Also I haven't noticed any more stringy white poop from the gsp. I guess the medicine treated food is working.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

That's excellent :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Arny wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:Great! Did you look into the vitamin C?
Hey PP, what's the name/make of the vitamin C you use?

I think this is it Arny viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30163
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
titanoboa100
Dwarf Puffer

Post by titanoboa100 »

What does it mean if my GSP keeps hanging out near the water filter and turns black color? He doesn't do this that much anymore, but Im just wondering if its a bad sign.
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

Might be due to boredom. But if your water parameters are all good and your tank size is the minimum then a normal healthy gsp will change into darker colors through out the day. As long as they don't stay dark all the time or seem lethargic you should be okay.

If they continue to glass surfer in a corner you can point a power head in that direction or put a plastic plant in his way.
I.Puff.Too
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by I.Puff.Too »

Also, that aquarium salt you're using isn't going to raise the salinity, what you need is marine salt. You also need to start looking into a bigger home. That would also help with the ammonia as it would be more dilute.

HTH
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Your green spotted puffer requires a 30 gallon aquarium or larger. Right now the reason your ammonia is not really going anywhere is because your tank isn't cycled and your puffer produces too much ammonia for a tank that size. You need to get on craigslist and begin searching for a 30 gallon or larger tank. If you were to move your fish over to a larger tank with the same filter, you would have to deal with less ammonia problems. Your filter isn't cycled yet, but your puffer would stand a better chance at survival if he had more water volume to work with than just the 10 gallons. You also need to purchase a better filter, like an Aquaclear, as it will be better at keeping the aquarium cycled.

Try not to worry too much about the feeding. Just feed him the anti-parasite food, once a day.

The water changes that everyone is telling you to do is the absolute best advice. A lot of people are scared to do large, frequent water changes because they have been told by the pet store that it's bad, but that is a lie. Water changes are the only way to help your puffer from poisoning himself. Do large water changes whenever you have the time.

Follow the link that you were given for the ich treatment.

You seem to be very worried and caring, and that is a very good thing when it comes to caring for sick fish. Just try not to get discouraged and keep doing whatever you can for your puffer. You've been doing good so far, keep up the good work.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
titanoboa100
Dwarf Puffer

Post by titanoboa100 »

When changing the water do you guys throw out the old water from the water filter?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

titanoboa100 wrote:When changing the water do you guys throw out the old water from the water filter?
Like the water in the filter? If that's what you're referring to, first off, be sure you ALWAYS unplug your filter and heater BEFORE doing your change and after that, it's up to you. I always dump mine out because I rinse the filter house itself because mine collects so much gunk. However, you may not need to.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
titanoboa100
Dwarf Puffer

Post by titanoboa100 »

Yes I was referring to the water filter water. Thanks for the help. I also wanted to ask about gsp teeth length. How can you tell if the gap teeth are too long? I can't seem to find any snails where I live. I mostly feed him shrimp. I know he needs to start eating something hard. What do you guys recommend?
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

you should be able to see a gap in his mouth. If it looks like they are smiling at you and you can see teeth they are to long.

if they are to long then you got to trim them yourself. If they aren't to long then a range of stuff works snails, mollusks half shell, clams shells, crabs err I'm sure people will know more.

another place to check is petsmart or other pet stores that carry fish most of them will hand over their snails for free.
Last edited by puffykid on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

titanoboa100 wrote:Yes I was referring to the water filter water. Thanks for the help. I also wanted to ask about gsp teeth length. How can you tell if the gap teeth are too long? I can't seem to find any snails where I live. I mostly feed him shrimp. I know he needs to start eating something hard. What do you guys recommend?
Check aquabid.com for some Ramshorn snails.