Ich-type white spots

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Ich-type white spots

Post by Pufferpunk »

Melafix will help heal where the parasite has attacked them. Be sure to add an airstone though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): UK

Post by Hufferpuffer »

Thanks guys. I've treated for 10 days but he still has a couple of small spots. He's not showing any signs of distress, is eating and not gasping, hanging around the surface or filter. Should I continue to treat for a few more days?

I have had to estimate the actual water level so am a bit concerned I have under-dosed but don't really want to risk over-dose.

(I have 2 airstones running.)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Keep going till well after the last spots have gone, it's primarily a gill parasite
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm not sure why he gets stressed from WC, unless the tap water is so different from his tank water. Shouldn't be if you're doing proper WC, which mean, a minimum of 50% weekly, using dechlorinator & matching the temp.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Hufferpuffer »

Thanks bertie - I'll keep going then

PP - He just doesn't like his home being messed with. He hates it when I fish out the shell and detritis after dinner. His previous owners had the same problem. He's better than he used to be but he goes black and sinks to the bottom the moment we go in and if we're in the tank too long he starts splashing, shooting around, just like he's displaying a warning. He's never been directly aggressive to us though and we can feed him by hand. As I said, he has calmed down but still hates it.

I do water changes as you described.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Splashing and spitting happens if I push my luck with mine too. Biting happens when I am not looking
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

You don't have to worry too much about overdosing, so long as it's not in MASSIVE quantities. An extra tablespoon or so won't hurt. Fish are a lot more hardy than some people thing. Great job on your treatment so far! Just make sure you're really vacuuming the gravel good so the ich isn't still living in the tank. Best of luck! =]
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Hufferpuffer »

He hasn't tried biting yet but I do tend to keep a watchful eye on him! He was pretty good today actually, just kept parking himself where I wanted to vacuum!

Thank you. I have him on sand so been stirring it up to get as much as possible. Took all the bogwood out today too and have it a scrub. Fingers crossed it'll clear soon. He only has 2 little spots now so much less that before. Hoping that's a good sign
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Hufferpuffer wrote:He hasn't tried biting yet but I do tend to keep a watchful eye on him! He was pretty good today actually, just kept parking himself where I wanted to vacuum!

Thank you. I have him on sand so been stirring it up to get as much as possible. Took all the bogwood out today too and have it a scrub. Fingers crossed it'll clear soon. He only has 2 little spots now so much less that before. Hoping that's a good sign
Just remember to keep treating him two weeks past the last visible spot to ensure it's all gone.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Hufferpuffer »

Thank you all for your help. We both very much appreciate it :)
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

It's no problem. If you have any more questions or concerns let us know, and of course, keep us updated on how he's doing.
Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Hufferpuffer »

I'm getting concerned because he's still getting spots. I'm following all your advice, water changes, replacing the lost salt, vacuuming daily, high water temp. He's doing fine, breathing is good and is behaving as normal. He's stopped rubbing on the bogwood. Where am I going wrong? What more can I do? I'm worried what it will do to him having this for so long.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

What is your temperature at? and can we get a picture update please?
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

On his fins too or just the body?

Hufferpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Hufferpuffer »

Temp is 85/86. Yes, 1 or 2 spots on his fins. The spots are coming and going quickly but its not being killed when water born. I've increased the salt twice now but still a little nervous of overdose. I'll try to get a new pic. Trouble is that he's usually covered in sand so I need to wait for a clear shot, otherwise its difficult to tell what's ich and what's sand on the photo.