f8 puffer with bulging eyes

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
f8puffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united states

f8 puffer with bulging eyes

Post by f8puffer »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and to owning puffers in general. I just got a 29gal tank for my husband for christmas, and we have a f8 puffer and a spotted puffer. My f8 puffer has bulging eyes... the owner of the fish store said this is not normal and he must have a birth defect or something, and he didn't want to sell him to me. I thought he was cute, and birth defect or not everyone deserves a chance at a good home right? Well, we've had them for a month now and one eye seems to be getting bigger. I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen or dealt with a similar issue, and how did you handle it?
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Re: f8 puffer with bulging eyes

Post by PolishPuff »

[welcome]
This question would be great for a " Hospital section "

I cant really answer with out looking at it, maybe some pictures.

+ you got two puffers that cant live with each other. GSP will need at least 30 gal by its self and would need a Salt water setup.
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Plus the gsp will grow bigger and be more aggressive
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

I moved this so you can answer the questions above in red. Sounds like Popeye, google that disease and see if that sounds like what he has. I believe that is treated with an antibiotic, but adding epsom salt may help with the pressure, or may do nothing. My betta had Popeye, I treated it with an antibiotic and it slowly went away.
CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Well, atleast you know what to name him.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Yes, there is bacteria behind the eyeballs causing them to bulge out. He can lose both eyes if not treated. NEVER buy something that doesn't look "normal" to you. you have now learned how stupid fish store employees are! Try treating with Melafix, I've had success with that.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
f8puffer
Puffer Fry

Post by f8puffer »

Thank you all for your comments and prompt responses! I am very thankful that I found this forum.. very helpful!!
We ended up naming him Quazimoto because that's who he looks like :)

I am relieved to know that Quazimoto can be treated, and I will try Melafix right away.

When we purchased Quazimoto, we also got an african ciclid. We ended up returning the African ciclid because he was crazy aggressive, and exchanged him for the spotted puffer. The guy at the fish store (a younger employee, not the owner of the store) said that the spotted puffer would be fine with the f8, but apparently he was mistaken. Maybe I should exchange the spotted for another f8? I would like to have a tankmate for Quazimoto, because when he was with the ciclid and by himself he would hang out by the filter. He even got stuck in the filter twice, but refused to go anywhere else in the tank. As soon as the spotted puffer was in the tank, Quazimoto started swimming around and acting normal, and now seems quite happy! He really enjoys the company. Any thoughts on tankmates?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Absolutely, get another F8 instead or just keep Quazi by himself for a while, until he's better. Animals pick on the weaker of 2.
For info on your puffer: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=28692
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

Another F8 is a better tankmate than the spotted.

I didn't feel comfortable using Melafix with my betta, there are some warnings in place for labrynth fish, I used Maracyn and Maracyn 2.

Also, if you could answer the questions above the post in red, that will be helpful. How was the tank cycled?
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

+1

Another F8 would be perfect

Maybe you should mention to the young fella at your LFS that he was wrong, you know teach him a bit :soapbox:
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I have used melafix with my betta and all was fine. But then I did not see a warning, if I had I would not use it. Sorry seven don't want to contradict you but I did not know it was potentially unsafe, this was about 2 years ago and betta still going strong. This may be a one off tho. Do not try this at home kids!
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

I used it with a betta once, he didn't react well to it and had to do a large water change. But I've also had non-labyrinth fish have bad reactions to Melafix, it just depends on the fish and its own particular sensitivities. But overall, Melafix has a large margin of safety.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Instead of getting another F8, you might consider just returning the green-spotted puffer and using that medicine to buy the meds. Understocking is always a great idea with puffers, especially sick ones. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Puffers can sometimes act funny without a tankmate at first because they came from the store, where there is TONS, but after a while they adjust. Plus, puffers will become more attached to their owners if they are singular. It's really not mean to let them live alone lol. It will give them lots of extra tank space and better water conditions if the tank is understocked.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
f8puffer
Puffer Fry

Post by f8puffer »

How would I add an epsom salt treatment for the double popeye? I have started Quazimoto on the Melafix and it seems to be helping... his eyes no longer seem like they will completely pop out of his head, but they are still severely bulged.