HELP! emergency! anyone ever experienced hole in the head?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Re: HELP! emergency! anyone ever experienced hole in the head?

Post by eieio »

J-P wrote:Welcome to the Forum! I know another site as an ask "seachem" section regarding their products and the Seachem rep assigned directly contributes.
Although we don't have any direct comercial ties with any company at the moment, your input is valued also.
BacJack wrote:Well I appreciate it. There's no affiliation here, but SuperBac is committed to educating the hobby about nitrifying bacteria and aquarium start-up. It's very important to the hobby. It's potentially the difference in the hobbyist getting another aquarium or trading it in for an XBox. So I don't mind putting in the time :)
Though I'm not particularly interested in a heated debate over these products, I, for one, would appreciate a better understanding of them.
There are so many strong opinions in so many different directions by so many intelligent people that it becomes rather overwhelming to those of us who are not scientists or engineers or biologists.
I have used a particular brand of nitrifying bacteria with remarkable success, and will likely use it again because it worked for me.
However, that doesn't mean that my mind is closed to other valid options, especially ones that may be more readily available to people (and their fish) that are in need of them on an immediate, or perhaps
regional basis.
There may be many who may not have easy access to products specifically touted as the only products that will work.
There's so much confusion, that I, myself, through what I have seen here, may have passed along information that may not be accurate.
For example, here at TPF, in tank cycling discussions, i've read that "dead bacteria" (in reference to nitrifying bacteria stored at room temperature, as opposed to refrigerated) does not work.
.........Yet a least one of the websites of the manufacturers of the products that are considered (here at TPF) to be effective, indicate that refrigeration of their product prior to use is not necessary.
:?
so many bacteria, so little time........
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
kilofey
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: **PUFFERS
2 Dwarf puffers, but I had an 11" fahaka that I miss soo much!

**OTHER FISH
betta, black oscallaris clown, orange oscallaris clown, purple firefish, blue spotted goby, coral beauty angelfish

**NON-AQUATIC PETS
Chihuahua, springer spaniel/dachund mix, and a barn cat
Location (country): California

Post by kilofey »

thanks rtr, i make shure to do water tests every other day.... just as precaution.... so far they have been good for about a week now. im finally able to do weekly WCs instead of daily.... and only 25-50% weekly instead of the 75% i was doing every day before

im so excited hes all better!!!! :hyper: im almost kinda proud of myself for not killing him lol, i know that sounds bad, but its a habbit of mine to prepare myself for the worst... so when something good happens, im able to be more happy about it haha
"everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
-Albert Einstein
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Actually kilofey , that does not sound silly to me at all. An awful lot of folks panic and jump into any and all possibilities offered without evaluation and consideration or contrary imputs. That can be harmful or even fatal.

eieio - Way back when, in the first era of supposed nitrification products, totally dead bacterial suspension were common. Unfortunately, at least one of those products is still on the market. These days (current era, not a generation and more ago), there are suspension formulations (tailored to the specific bugs) which can hold non-spore-producing forms alive but near-dormant without death for some months - provided storage conditions are not extreme (no freezing, no excessive heat -freezing kills; heat speeds the clock up by orders of magnitude,leading to premature death).

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
eieio
Mbu Puffer
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"

Post by eieio »

RTR wrote:Way back when, in the first era of supposed nitrification products, totally dead bacterial suspension were common. Unfortunately, at least one of those products is still on the market.
so there is dead bacteria.......
RTR wrote:These days (current era, not a generation and more ago), there are suspension formulations (tailored to the specific bugs) which can hold non-spore-producing forms alive but near-dormant without death for some months - provided storage conditions are not extreme (no freezing, no excessive heat -freezing kills; heat speeds the clock up by orders of magnitude,leading to premature death).
........and there are partially dead, non-spore producing bacteria
( :lol: starting to sound like Monty Python!)

so a third choice would be: a live, spore-producing bacteria?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Monty Python? I can hear it now. "Well, it's only PAHtially dead. Technically it's still pahtially alive." "But how can it be only pahtially dead? It's just not done!" "AHHHH! KILLER RABBIT!!!"

Okay, sorry, ignore that. Is there a partially dead, spore-producing option as well?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
eieio
Mbu Puffer
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"

Post by eieio »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Monty Python? I can hear it now. "Well, it's only PAHtially dead. Technically it's still pahtially alive." "But how can it be only pahtially dead? It's just not done!" "AHHHH! KILLER RABBIT!!!"

Okay, sorry, ignore that. Is there a partially dead, spore-producing option as well?
Oh, it's only got a little bit of rat in it! :lol:
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

LOL! Many cultures which are partially dead can still be revived. Folks do it all the time in fishless cycling. They OD the ammonia and do not cut it down enough after nitrite appears, so the nitrite oxidizers are suppressed and largely die off. Then the hobbyist has a v_e_r_y l_o_n_g nitrite peak. The nitrite oxidizers have to go through a lot more doublings to get up to functional colony levels..

Yeah, too bad the nitrification bacteria do not form spores. Life would be easier.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Wait, so... If the nitrification bacteria doesn't form spores, then how does the pahtially dead bacteria form spores?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Partially dead also mean partially alive. The survivors do eventually grow out under good conditions - but still without the spore forms, they just don't have the genes.

In theory, if you had one surviving cell, you could re-grow a full colony. But I would not bet on it, especially in an aquarium. I have cloned enough mammalian cells that I would not want try ir on a bacterium. Major PITA - you work for weeks like a dog to keep that cell going. And if you check too closely too often, you can kill them with heat/light. Bacterial cultures are generally much faster dividing than mammalian cells, but the nitrifiers are not. They are slowpokes.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Oh, like with plants, the spore-producing and the non-spore-producing ones? (I forgot the technical terms as soon as the final exam was over... Something-phytes?)

I AM A DUDETTE!

BacJack
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by BacJack »

Hey all, thanks for the questions. How was everyone's weekend?

I'll answer RTR first since he wrote out a very well thought out question for me that I think will answer some of the other questions as well. And don't worry about the comments RTR, I've heard them all and I blame nobody for having these predispositions, especially with the line-up of products who have made these claims for the last 15 years. Also, I have enjoyed reading your contribution to this thread, man! You really know your stuff!

Anyway, onto the questions. First, yes the strains are isolated and identified. They are real Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, Nitrococcus, and Nitrosococcus. They could be cultured in aquariums, yes, but they are not due to the sheer volume to meet our customers' needs, which requires bio-reactors. There's faster and more efficient technology than using aquariums. The nitrogen-laden water in which they are grown is also extracted via centrifuge, making it a very clean product as well. This isn't the only way to do this, of course, but it's very efficient. Anything past that we start to get into proprietary information.

Which Bacteria Are Found In The Aquarium?
Now about the "debate" about which nitrifiers are the "real ones". Although many people swear it's a big deal and get extraordinarily worked up over it, it really is much to do about nothing, relatively speaking in terms of aquariums. Case and point: If it propagates in your aquarium, establishes a colony, and maintains that colony while oxidizing ammonia and nitrite they are the "real ones", including Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter. There's no stack of science documents that will change this fact. And Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter do that, therefor by definition, it's a fact they are proper nitrifying bacteria for the aquarium. Think of it like this: Nitrifiers don't just magically appear in an immaculate conception as one specific strain. They are always imported from somewhere. The most common ways for nitrifying bacteria to come into a system are through the fish themselves or in media from another system. So, it's important to understand that in every instance of aquarium cycling the bacteria is always imported from somewhere. Having said that, the kind of bacteria found in the aquarium will be the kind that were imported, simple as that. If anyone selling a different kind of bacteria is saying that you can only establish biofiltraion with that product and not with Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, then it is merely an attempt to sell you a "rounder wheel" and an out-right lie. Basically, whichever bacteria are "found in the aquarium" greatly depends on who's aquarium you're looking in. Then it becomes just the "ones you find".

Waste Water And Nitrosomonas/Nitrobacter
When they say "Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are found in waste water treatment plants" that is 50% of half the truth and very clever language. Yes, they are found there. So what? Where in that statement does it say aquariums will kill Nitrsomonas and Nitrobacter or that they can't flourish there? Nowhere. If Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter can handle the extremely diverse water conditions of a waste water treatment plant then they can, and do, most certainly handle a far more controlled and consistent aquarium environment. NItrosomonas and Nitrobacter aren't afraid of fish. What, in the aquarium, is supposed to kill Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter? The only thing that would effect them are things that effect any and all nitrifying bacteria.... pH, alkalinity, phosphate content, temperature, chlorine, chloramines, antibiotics, etc. Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter have no unique problems propagating and flourishing in the aquarium environment at all.

Dead Bacteria
This one is easy. These bacteria don't die and come back to life. If they die, they're dead. Unlike heterotrophic bacteria, which can be dried, freeze dried, put in spore form and shelved for years, these autotrpohs must remain in liquid and kept vital. This is why they say "don't let your media dry out". SuperBac Real Nitrifying Bcateria is living nitrifiers. They are alive and don't enter the aquarium dead. The six-month shelf life is how long they can live in that state, after which they lose viable culture. If you put nitrifiers in your aquarium without food, they will manage about two weeks before they die. They don't just die instantly. This is good because if water levels are unacceptable for nitrifying bacteria, you find out with time to troubleshoot this so that the bacteria jump start once it's ironed out.

$64 Million Question
"I used a Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter products before and they haven't worked. Why then?" Answer: They didn't really have Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter in it. That's the most common. If that isn't the case and you were using a real nitrifying bacteria product, then there was something wrong with the water parameters, WHICH also would effect a slow cycle as well. Same rules, now. But usually, a product like this doesn't have real nitrifiers in it. It is UNUSUAL that it does. Sadly, in most cases, SuperBac will be the first real experience with Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter that hobbyists have ever had to draw applicable experience from :) On our website we offer a list of things to look for when trying to decide if a product is real or not.

The Point
This product is made and sold to cycle aquariums and combat ammonia and nitrite problems. If it didn't work we wouldn't be cycling aquarium systems in the 24,000 gallon range over a weekend. It's really hard to fake those results. Most people just want a tool that will do this and don't really care to get into a holy war about bacteria. These arguments will not make our product fail to work like it says no matter how long they endure. The burden of proof is not on us. This has been around for a long time. The burden of proof is on those that would claim Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter do not work. Check this out... I could have cycled an aquarium in less time than it took to introduce myself here and write this last post.... Makes an argument like these seem unproductive.

Sincerely,
Last edited by BacJack on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael "BacJack" Blood
SuperBac Tech Representative
SuperBac.com
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Oh, I think it'll be very productive. Just wait till RTR gets here...

I AM A DUDETTE!

BacJack
Puffer Fry

Post by BacJack »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Oh, I think it'll be very productive. Just wait till RTR gets here...
No reason why it shouldn't be ;)
Michael "BacJack" Blood
SuperBac.com
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Just a minute ago, your post said that writing that out was counterproductive because you could have cycled a tank while you were writing that out. Evidently, you edited it...

I AM A DUDETTE!

BacJack
Puffer Fry

Post by BacJack »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Just a minute ago, your post said that writing that out was counterproductive because you could have cycled a tank while you were writing that out. Evidently, you edited it...
It's still there, no you're not crazy :D Just switched the last two sentences around as it sounded better that way....
Michael "BacJack" Blood
SuperBac.com