Snails in a 40l

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Snails in a 40l

Post by sarahnya »

I have a rather large colony of ramshorn snails in a 40l tank.

My question is how many is too many, I reckon I have over 100.

Up until today the tank has been cycling ok with no real spikes in ammonia or nitrite but today ammonia was up into toxic levels, nitrite had also gone one up on the scale.

I've done a large water change and put some prime in just in case the snails aren't as bomb proof as I thought.

I'm just worried the filter won't be able to cope with so many, obviously when I get my puffer he will cull the population.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Snails in a 40l

Post by bertie 83 »

I say keep up the good work, snails will survive some swings and your population will start to regulate once you have your puffer. Step up your maintenance on this tank to keep the population thriving and perhaps set up a tub to move some into, you can't really have too many. Perhaps reduce feeding slightly or feed easily removable foods so you can let them eat and reduce the waste, a lettuce leaf or similar should work
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sarahnya »

Awesome thanks Bertie. If I transfer some to a bucket will they remove themselves if it doesn't have a lid? I'm tempted to get another tank but it seems a bit overkill lol
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sarahnya »

God they proper love courgette and cucumber don't they! I've got them little mineral blocks with spirulina in too!