Eheim jager heater calibration

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Eheim jager heater calibration

Post by Blinkey »

Just wondering whether anyone from this forum has owned or currently owns an Eheim Jager heater and is familiar with the temperature calibration of them. I recently bought a 100 W unit when my old heater crapped out on me, it seems to be working fine, but the temperature is about 1 degree off from what I would prefer. I have read the instructions thoroughly and followed them to the dot multiple times over the last three days. However, my temperature has not changed at all.
The instructions don't pay mention to whether you have to do the calibration out of the water, so I am wondering whether this may be the reason? Thus far, I have only tried calibrating it switched off and submerged with the dial exposed. Then waited 20-30 mins and switched it back on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Eheim jager heater calibration

Post by Welch4 »

I use the Jager on half of my tanks. I usually perform the calibration with it on and submerged. The blue ring can be difficult to adjust. I normally have to hold the lower part the heater rather than leaving in the suction cup holder.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Have tried re-calibrating multiple times since my first post, but still couldn't get it to sit on my temperature of choice... Given up on using the calibration function as it seems to be faulty. Just turned the heater down the old fashioned-way with a little trial and error, and seem to have it maintained at 25.5-26 degrees celsius. Pretty disappointed with the heater, as it really hasn't lived up to the reputation of the manufacturer. Oh well, as long as it heats and is stable I don't mind too much.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

I would contact ehiem about this. I have three Jagers running right now and all are spot on.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Heater ended up going wack overnight, giving me a temperature of 24 degrees celsius in the morning... Was not impressed at the stability so I exchanged it for another, as it was most likely a defective unit. Will update you on how the new one is running tomorrow.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Bloody hell, these heaters are a nightmare... got probably about 4-5 hrs sleep last night making sure that my new (replacement) heater didn't fry my fish. Set it to 26 degrees celsius (79F) and it kept trying to heat past 27 (80.6 F).. so had to resort to powering it off every so often to maintain a tolerable temp.

Today I tested it in a 5 gal bucket. It heated up to a whopping temperature of 29 degrees celsius :? Trying to recalibrate it now, but the dial only moves 2 degrees to the right... Guess I'll just have to set it a bit lower on the blue dial.
Judging by how crucial a reliable heat source is with tropical fish keeping, you'd assume that manufacturers would ensure the outmost accuracy and reliability of their products. However, seems that there are no decent heater products available in my part of the world. What makes matters worse is that no one supplies aquarium temperature controllers where I am as well.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

This is really surprising. I miss counted as well i forgot i use one of these guys in my water change barrel. Sorry you are having bad luck with them. If you got it from the same store possibly they got a bad batch of them. I would reach out to ehiem directly and see if they can help you.
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Post by itlagswrx »

I use a Jager on my main tank and only calibrated it one time, and has been spot on ever since. I also have a Penn Plax cascade heater in my other tank and it works well (accurate +/- 1 degree). I agree with the other poster in saying that the seller you purchased from maybe got a bad batch of them. They are really great heaters. I would contact Eheim myself if I were you considering you have limited options.

Here is the Cascade heater I am talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VO ... detailpage
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Just to sort of end this thread. I ended up just keeping the second unit, but turned the dial down to 21.5 to get a stable temp. between 25.5-26, it seems to be holding it quite precisely there. Normally I would replace it, as it wasn't cheap... but I really can't be bothered going on a third trip, as this fish store is quite a decent distance away from where I live.
"Life, uh, finds a way"