Red slime in complex set up

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: Red slime in complex set up

Post by Hillehaus »

If you don't mind a large amount of hitchhikers on your rock (I don't mind) there are a lot of companies in Florida that aquaculture rock. Basically they take mined rock from the mainland and dump it in their ocean plots where it sits for years until they harvest it. It's a nice alternative to reef harvest rock and is much cheaper than artificial rock. Shipping to your area may be excessive though.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Post by BedScien »

I've already got all the kit so I'm thinking of going ahead with the freshwater - looking marine tank for a while! :p It'll be a funny sight but should be okay, right?

I bought an adhesive but just realised it isn't suitable for natural rock! BAH! Plus it's 'naturally flexible' - Unsure about whether it would be suitable for the job. I've clearly got a whole lot of learning to do haha.

Here's a picture of the caves I built!

As for constructing the caves I am thinking about doing it outside the tank on some egg crate and then lowering it in. I'm pretty sure I should use adhesive to prevent it collapsing on poor Oddball in his/her sleep.

Gratefully accepting any comments and corrections!

Pufferpunk wrote:I do get that but you can retrieve LR from established systems to seed dead rock in your tank.
Can I find dead rock that isn't from a reef?
Welch4 wrote:I have about 10 pounds of dry rock that has been in with about 40 to 50 pounds for around a year. There are some bristle worms in it but not a lot more.
So you're saying it didn't colonise well? Or that there hasn't been problems with hitch-hikers?
Hillehaus wrote:If you don't mind a large amount of hitchhikers on your rock (I don't mind) there are a lot of companies in Florida that aquaculture rock. Basically they take mined rock from the mainland and dump it in their ocean plots where it sits for years until they harvest it. It's a nice alternative to reef harvest rock and is much cheaper than artificial rock. Shipping to your area may be excessive though.
Very interesting! Got a name of a good company? Will look into this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

Off the top of my head, Floridaliverock.com and tampabaysaltwater.com.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Yea hasn't not seeded well. Bristle worms are the only things I've seen of the dead rock after a year. The lr is teeming with other critters and life.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Post by BedScien »

Welch4 wrote:Yea hasn't not seeded well. Bristle worms are the only things I've seen of the dead rock after a year. The lr is teeming with other critters and life.
Ah that's a shame :/
Hillehaus wrote:Off the top of my head, Floridaliverock.com and tampabaysaltwater.com.
Thanks!
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone