Tap vs. RO vs. RODI

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Tap vs. RO vs. RODI

Post by Hillehaus »

Ok, my 40g FOWLR build is humming along nicely, I've got:

my tank
sump
my stand is 70ish percent built
light fixture
skimmer
3 powerheads

My next somewhat blurry topic revolves around a water source. Despite being relatively clean I'd prefer not to use my local tap water. That brings up the next question...Does a FOWLR need RO/DI water? Will a RO system alone suffice, knowing that there will be no corals in the tank for a long, long time and eventually, possibly a few soft corals down the road?

Next up, I'll probably be buying a unit fairly soon (RO or RODI, either way based on the advice I get here). Any suggestions? As the tank is only a 40 breeder, I don't think I will need a very high end unit. I'm thinking somewhere around 50GPD.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tap vs. RO vs. RODI

Post by Pufferpunk »

With a reef, RODI is always best. I got mine: www.bulkreefsupply.com
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Apiwat
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Bangkok

Post by Apiwat »

I like your idea. It is very deep and very attentive to follow it.
AlibiStellatus
Puffer Fry
Location (country): British Columbia, Canada

Post by AlibiStellatus »

Hillehaus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:35 pm Any suggestions? As the tank is only a 40 breeder, I don't think I will need a very high end unit. I'm thinking somewhere around 50GPD.
After speaking with a lot of FOWLR keepers they recommend not using DI unless you have corals, but instead replacing the DI with calcium remineralization cartridge or additional carbon filter where the DI would be.

As for the 50GPD vs 100GPD, I thought it was worth it to step up to the 100GPD based on the price isn't that much higher but also for reasons like water changes. If you don't have a bucket ready with water (or if your RO/DI unit isn't directly attached to your tank via ATO, it would take you longer to produce the water you need... but if you have the time to let it fill or fill beforehand you can save a bit of money. I did a 4 stage RO/DI but replaced my DI with a calcium remineralization cartridge as the RO will strip calcium which will help my tank specifically (I have 3 peppermint shrimp and a starry puffer with live rock).