Using a refractometer

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Using a refractometer

Post by TrevorA »

I'm just starting to move my two green spotted puffer tanks to brackish water. So I've got a RHSN-10ATC refractometer but no instructions, however my understanding is that I calibrate it with RO or distilled water and then measure my salted water. Device looks easy to use and calibrate but I don't get the calibration. Am I not measuring the salt difference from my base water? so therefore shouldn't I be calibrating using a freshwater tank sample or even my tap water?

Although having tried calibrating using a freshwater sample my salted water that should be measuring 1.001-1.002 goes under the scale, lol:)

Help please!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Using a refractometer

Post by Welch4 »

It is best to use a calibration fuild that is a verified solution at 1.023 usually available through most online marine stores that will carry the refract. If not using calibration fluid it is best to use distilled or and water with 0 TDS ( total disolved solids). Fill the veiwing plate with the fluid your are calibrating with. Looking through the eyepeice turn the screw so the blue/white split lands on 1 if your using distilled and 1.023 if your using calibration fuild.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

+1. Calibration fluid is the best way to go. If that's not poss use ro from a reputable place you know and trust as a second best until the fluid is available
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Calibration solution is to 1.026. But RO should be close enough for BW applications.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Used distilled/purified from the chemist as that is all I could get. Very simple and easy. And I'd got my salt concentrations almost exactly right too, so a very satisfactory start!
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

I check my calibration on the frst day of every month with a commerically bought 1.026 standard.

I've found historically in the water treatment industry following ASTM standards that RO water is around 0.997 or 0,998 whch makes for a systemtic error if you are using only a single point calibration on the low end of the sacle.

Given that, we used a mullti-point calibraton along-side an independantly made QC..
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

I can see why you'd do that for a marine tank, and I do tend to go over the top with testing accuracy because that's how I am, but considering the wide range of suitable water for the GSP I don't suppose even a .004 discrepancy would really matter, as long as I only build up slowly and don't cause my filter to cycle.