Aquatop CF500UV Cannister

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United states

Aquatop CF500UV Cannister

Post by adamsmx34 »

Aquatop CF500UV 5-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W, 525 gph

I recently purchased this and got rid of my old sump due to some flooding issues I had. I was wondering if anyone else has this filter and how much so they like it.

Few quick things from me
Very Quiet
UV Stabilizer
4 Compartments for Media
525 Gallons
Easy Set Up
VERY INEXPENSIVE!!!!! $115 when I purchased with Amazon Prime. It is worth taking a look at if you are in the market for an upgrade. They also sell smaller versions.
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Re: Aquatop CF500UV Cannister

Post by Stratters »

Could you post a link, please?
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

I dont have the filter but it has been out for a while. It started as other Chinese brands like Sun Sun before AquaTop took it on in their line up. I do have a friend who uses it and is happy with it. Another has used the Sun Sun and said it was ok but not a long lasting product, with plastic parts not holding up.
http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-404B-Ex ... 3VZ5K89J80
SunSun HW-404B
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

I have one, it is ok. I modified the spray bar... I removed the 3 90 degree elbows, replaced them with a simple u and used 1/2" pvc with larger hole sizes to increase the flow. I did not like the original spray bar and was very dissapointed with this filter until I replaced it. I have several cannisters marineland, pennplax, eheim, fluval. moral is... you get what you pay for.
Last edited by nzac on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I got one, it's not great. Had to modify pretty much everything to get it to work. Won't buy another will stick to eheim
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Stratters »

That looks identical to the filter on my daughter's tank. I hate it, the spray bar is rubbish, it has a manual primer, which is a nightmare to get going after it's been cleaned, and I have to force the internal baskets out with a knife. Plus it spits out gunk with every push of the prime button, despite having dismantled the whole lot on many occasions. I just can't find the gunks hidey hole.

I'm getting her a Fluval U4 for extra filtration, and I'll be replacing the canister with an Aquamanta as soon as funds permit.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Unfortunately, there is an awful lot of tank equipment out there which if neither effective nor lasting. I am too old and cranky to deal with high-upkeep/unreliable equipment. My best advice is to find brands which you can maintain without a lot of frustration and hassle, then stick with those.

Much of my tank equipment is not used exactly as the manufacturer intends, but in ways which effectively do the job I want in ways I am willing to maintain. That makes such equipment a highly individual choice. For me long-term reliability is quite important.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Stratters »

For anyone in the UK, I'd highly recommend Aquamanta canister filters, backed up with a Fluval 4U. They are incredibly easy to maintain and clean, self prime, the baskets come out easily, and they keep the water spotless. I rinse the Fluval twice a week in tank water, as it is the main collector of gunk, and the Aquamanta once a week. Tanks get a 15% water change ever day. I never change any of the media, despite what it says on the box, why bin all that lovely bacteria you've so lovingly nurtured.

The spray bars are also hoicked up as high as possible, that way I can fill the tanks to max and still get a decent current going. The water circulates across the front of the tank, is caught in the Aquamanta inlet at the back, and then by the Fluval just in front of the spray bar. Nothing gets missed, it has 2 chances of getting filtered, and the current is maintained.
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

I really like the filter. So far I'm not having any issues. I have a friend who said he only replaced the light bulb ever 8 months. At first it was difficult to get it to prime. I don't have any issues with it spitting gunk and other things out into the tank. The water is crystal clear. I had to get rid of my sump because it flooded my basement while I was at work. Overall I'm satisfied. Personal preference I suppose. We will see how it holds up in the long run and I'll post and let you know. The priming was my only issue once it got running I haven't had issues.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Not saying they are a bad filter. just a budget filter where longevity can be an issue. I have the Fluval FX5's on my 210 gallon and very happy with them and I also have a classic Eheim 2217 on my 72 gallon bow and happy with it. I have owned other filters but find these two canisters are ones I like for long term.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Stratters »

You'll find priming an absolute pain in the arse every time you clean the canister, Liv's takes ages to get going again
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

I've had a Sun Sun filter before. They work ok for filters, but I agree they are not long-lived at all; mine only lasted about 3 years before it shorted out and stopped working on me, ntm before that point both plastic clamps had broken off too. Functional, but not affordable (long-term) and I also agree that priming those types is a huge ordeal. You get your money's worth more when you get a good name brand, my fluval 305 has been chugging away for 5 years (bought it used) and my eheim classic 2215 I expect to last a lifetime.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

I have a fluval on my smaller tank.