Powerhead/Circulation Pump GPH for 29g?

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Powerhead/Circulation Pump GPH for 29g?

Post by G S P Freak »

Title pretty much asks the question, what range of gph would you reccomend for a 29G brackish aquarium setup with aragonite sand?
My figure 8 puffer is very active and loves high current, so I was thinking a pump of 540-660gph seems decent. I got to check out a 660gph circulation pump at the LFS and it doesn't seem like it'll be too strong.

Any opinions, experiences, advice? Thanks!
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Powerhead/Circulation Pump GPH for 29g?

Post by RTR »

I tend to use canister filter returns via vertical spray bars in one front corner to set up a good current parallel with the front glass. If I want to, I can customize the spraybar's hole sizes and spacing. Fine-tuning current I generally do with several different pumps, That can take longer than setting and conditioning the tank itself, as all tanks are individual.

As I don't move fish much if ever, I have a QT tank at first while the permanent home is being set roughly, then fine-tune the current while the fish is already in its permanent home.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

I plan on using the spraybar that came with my eheim classic 350, but since it provides lower flow than I'd like, I think adding a powerhead will help with circulation. I can't afford another canister, but I might also consider another HOB filter for added circulation.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I am not an "average" fish-keeper. My first anemone tank had 5 Eheim canisters on it. Can you say "overkill"? Or maybe "neurotic" or "compulsive"?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Im running a koralia 600 and two 450 nanos on my 29 for my gsp. The 600 has my canister outlet directly above it, so this pushes the filtered water across the front glass. The two 450s are in the back right and send current back towards the filter inlet in the back left corner. My gsp loves thowing himself against the current.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk