Recommendations on a filter/powerhead?

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Recommendations on a filter/powerhead?

Post by G S P Freak »

Well as the title pretty much says, I'm looking for a new canister filter and a powerhead that would be appropriate for a 29G brackish tank (with a sand bottom if this makes a difference).

Been looking at an eheim classic 2213 or aquaclear 70?, as for powerheads I'm completely lost... I found one that interested me; the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 . My f8 is very active, so I would like a decent amount of water movement for him.

EDIT: After looking at different eheims, I'm not at all thrilled with their GPH and saw a lot of people complaining they were too weak for the tank size recommended.. *Sigh* Finding a decent filter under $100 is proving a pain. All the used ads want ridiculous prices.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Re: Recommendations on a filter/powerhead?

Post by G S P Freak »

I'm thinking koralia 240+aqua clear 70 is the most economical choice at just over $70 shipped. Eheims run 80 for 2213, 115 for 2215, and 138 for 2217... Flow rate is far to low to justify the cost. One of the jebao filters (knockoff of square shaped eheim) runs at 320pgh and is $62... Also looks promising

Used to have a sunsun hw302, but it recently burned out... Lasted 2 years but I'd rather not have to replace whole filters every 2 years. My fluval 305 works great but it's moving to the turtle tank.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

The eheim eccos are wicked! People just expect too much from the little filters. You should be able to find a 2028 for around £120
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

bertie 83 wrote:The eheim eccos are wicked! People just expect too much from the little filters. You should be able to find a 2028 for around £120
Hey Bertie do the eccos use alot less power?
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

bertie 83 wrote:The eheim eccos are wicked! People just expect too much from the little filters. You should be able to find a 2028 for around £120
Unfortunately that's out of my budget range =/ for that much I wouldnt be worrying about it because I could buy a brand new 2217 lol =P
-John Ruskin-
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

All eheims are power friendly, at times I have been running 15+ canisters so this is why the eheims are cost effective and they last forever. You have to look at the overall life cost which equates to pittance with eheim filters. The eccos do need more regular cleaning but the media is contained in little compartments which can be dunked hard in buckets of tank water and easily cleaned. I love them
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

bertie 83 wrote:All eheims are power friendly, at times I have been running 15+ canisters so this is why the eheims are cost effective and they last forever. You have to look at the overall life cost which equates to pittance with eheim filters. The eccos do need more regular cleaning but the media is contained in little compartments which can be dunked hard in buckets of tank water and easily cleaned. I love them
I'm thinking that ehiems last longer and use less power because of how weak their motors are though! I'm not trying to bash eheim, just saying that a harder working motor wont last as long as one that has less stress on it.

I finally decided though! Bigalspets.com is having a spring sale and with a spring sale price+a spring cleaning coupon discount, I took the plunge and got a brand new eheim 2215 for $96 USD (£57) shipped ^_^. Awesome deal. I'll see how well it does on my 29G, and if I need more circulation Ima just buy a Koralia 240 for $21 from ebay.

Thanks for the help Bertie, I'm honestly surprised you're the only one who had any filter input to give, but your suggestions helped me with deciding a lot! Glad I found an eheim within my budget, and didnt waste $60-80 on those chinese gamble filters!
-John Ruskin-