Leaky CoralLife 36 Watt UV x2

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
FishFan
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Orbicular Burrfish (Oblio, shown in the avatar), Striped Burrfish
Location (country): Maine USA

Leaky CoralLife 36 Watt UV x2

Post by FishFan »

We purchased the unit on the subject line. The first unit shut down about 4 hours after installation having leaked into the bulb enclosure until it reached the bulb contacts and shorted the power supply. After the bulb electronics were removed the root cause was apparent; it leaked through a crack in the plastic inside the seal. There were scuffed areas around the contact area for the seals suggesting that the leak was detected at the factory and reworked.

We returned the unit and received a replacement. The replacement is leaking onto the floor very slowly from the largest o-ring in the body of the unit. This unit also looks to have been reworked at the factory prior to sale. In this case there are indications that there were flashings ground off at the seam where the two halves of the plastic mould meet.

Should we return this unit for another or is this just a crummy product? We purchased from a reputable online seller that will stands behind their products (Drs F&S), so the seller is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-R
A = Anne, R =Robert

There has to be a point.
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Leaky CoralLife 36 Watt UV x2

Post by LRU »

I've read mixed reviews on Coralife products. Some people love them and others hate them, and it seems to be a mixed set of results on whether it works well or not. Unfortunately I don't have any alternatives to suggest.

However, if the second is having similar issues, I'd vote returning it and trying a different brand/model.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to LRU's comments above. I have not used their UV, but I had some mixed results to others of their produts. Some are great and operate trouble-free for a very long time. Others are just, well, shall we say..not reliable. I'd suggest a different brand for replacement.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I used the Coralife Super Skimmer for a year,. It worked well but constantly overflowed onto the floor, needed constant adjustments if the level of the water in the tank changed. I finally routed the skimmer cup to a gallon container. I wouldn't recommend it or buy another one. I have no experience with any of their other products. I'd return for a refund & buy something new.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DarkStorm
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Picasso Trigger,
Burma Trigger,
Golden Heart Trigger,
Clown Trigger,
Rectangular Trigger,
Porcupine Puffer.
Location (country): Canada

Post by DarkStorm »

DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

I had to reply to this because I too had the same unit and it was a leaker. Mine leaked at the screw on barb fitting and I was sent a new seal kit. This did not turn out to be the problem. The plastic used on this is a very hard plastic that is almost brittle and mine had developed a small hairline crack. I decided to break out the PVC pipe glue and purple primer and just permanently glue it on. This took care of the small hairline crack and stopped it from leaking. Has worked fine ever since.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout