black Friday $25 refractometer

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Pufferman
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Texas

black Friday $25 refractometer

Post by Pufferman »

I wasn't sure where to post this but the reviews are great and the price is probably wholesale, I just ordered mine.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractom ... fluid.html
65g reef with GSP,sleepy head goby, and a small snowflake eel. Some small corals also
72g bowfront reef with a pair of clowns, 2 1/2foot zebra moray eel, another 2 1/4foot Zebra moray eel, and a blue chromis. Some large corals also.
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: black Friday $25 refractometer

Post by LRU »

If the pic is right, it's ATC brand. You can get on eBay for $30 just about any day, but if you have free ship from BRS, a nice find.

That model will vary in accuracy from unit to unit - sometimes linearly, sometimes on a curve. I'd calibrate as close as possible to the point where you're testing (e.g. with freshwater/distilled/whatever instructions say) on the low end if you're doing brackish, or else with the 35ppt salinity fluid if you're doing a full marine tank. That way any inaccuracy is on the other end of the scale.

Great thread on this on 3reefs or somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Be sure to get the calibration solution or it's worthless.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferman
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Texas

Post by Pufferman »

It is the ATC brand and it came with the calibrating solution to set at 1.026sg. I'm sure glad I didn't put this tool off because my Instant Ocean Hydrometer was a full .004sg off. I verified by taking a water sample to the lfs and it was dead on with my new ATC refractometer. I did rinse the hydrometer after every use also so I will be warey of any Instant Ocean products for a while. That could have crashed my tank if I had kept raising the sg and the real reading was .004sg higher than I thought.
65g reef with GSP,sleepy head goby, and a small snowflake eel. Some small corals also
72g bowfront reef with a pair of clowns, 2 1/2foot zebra moray eel, another 2 1/4foot Zebra moray eel, and a blue chromis. Some large corals also.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Perfect! :) Probably not crash the tank. Mine was off by that much, so my SG was 1.030. Corals did look a bit "off" but looked better at 1.026.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"