Filter Intake Needs Mesh??

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 GSP Puffers
1 Valentini Puffer
4 Red Legged Hermit Crabs
Location (country): USA
Midwest

Filter Intake Needs Mesh??

Post by supgirl »

So I have the AC 110 running in my 75g tank and it seems to do a great job with my Puffs. But the last 5-7 days, I have found 1-2 ghost shrimps stuck in the intake pipe. I was really excited a few weeks ago, as it looked like the Ghost Shrimps had been multiplying. For some reason both of my Puffer tanks which house numerous Ghost shrimps seemed to be thriving. (I think my Puffs are either spoiled or lazy, probably both).

With this daily loss, I'm wondering if there is something I could put over the intake pipe to keep these smaller creatures safe? My husband thinks it would not be a good idea, but I thought I've read about some of you doing something similar. I did numerous searches, but had no luck. Any suggestions?
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Re: Filter Intake Needs Mesh??

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I have a couple of these that work great: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407592770 ... s&var=sbar

WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

Great! Thanks so much for the info. So I can put this over the intake pipe and it won't mess with my water parameters. Would I just remove when I do my w/c and swish it around the tank water I remove (like the filters) and the put back on or do you replace every so often?
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

supgirl wrote:Great! Thanks so much for the info. So I can put this over the intake pipe and it won't mess with my water parameters. Would I just remove when I do my w/c and swish it around the tank water I remove (like the filters) and the put back on or do you replace every so often?
It wont effect your water perameters and you cqn wash it in your tank water. No need to replace it on every wc.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Correct
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
GSP1981
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Usa

Post by GSP1981 »

What I did to fix the same problem is I used mesh netting and zip tied it to the intake grill

Also I have used screen door material as well. Make sure it's the black stuff, not the metal stuff
supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

Thanks so much! I will grab some screen material from the garage (depending if I can find it in all my Husbands junk) to use for the time being and order a couple of those filters for a permanent solution.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

You are likely to find sponges more easily cleaned than fabric screen mesh.
Where's the fish? - Neptune