DIY Co2...whos done it im interested in starting my own

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

DIY Co2...whos done it im interested in starting my own

Post by defool89 »

I know what I need and how to get started. But im a little fearful on overdoing c02. If anyone out there has done this, how many gallons is the tank and what are your measurements on bakers yeast, sugar and water in your bottle?

How do you mesure c02 levels?

did you have problems with your KH levels and halvto add baking soda?
You have the right to bear Puffers.
luluaroo
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green spotted puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Re: DIY Co2...whos done it im interested in starting my own

Post by luluaroo »

I know this post is old, but I have a suggestion. I learned how to make a diy co2 dispensors a few years back from good old youtube. I can't give you expert facts, but here goes....

I think it will be hard to overdo it if you start with a small bottle. I don't know what tank size your looking to hook up but if its like 10-30 gallons start with a small "coke" bottle. Whats really important is the diffuser. Get a higher quality diffuser for better results. If you don't see results step up the bottle size. If your looking at a heavily planted 55 you might need to start adding extra bottles.

You'll probably want to make a diy bubble counter for piece of mind, its like 1-3 bubbles a second. You'll run the co2 into the bubble counter and then into the diffuser or better yet a diy reactor.

But, on an important note, it will effect your ph unless your kh is high enough. So you have to be able to test that too. But, I don't know exactly were you want your kh at, I'm not an expert and you'll have to research that. It also depends on whether or not you are doing a planted only or planted and fish tank. Adding co2 will add carbonic acid which lowers ph. So having a kh buffer will help. But if this is for a puffer tank, I dunno, might not be good for them. I don't know for sure. (sorry thats not much help there lol)
To test co2 in the water get a drop checker. You add a solution to the bell which is a kh of 4 and a ph indicator. The gas enters and changes the color of the liquid inside allowing you to gauge your co2.

Recipe... well there is a few. Some add baking powders, baking sodas, gelatins, and other things to stabilize and extend the mixture. To help stabilize the co2 levels use 2 bottles and switch them out in between cycles. So say you have one going, mix the second a couple of days early and replace the other one before it runs out. This wil help avoid ph drops and raises.

2 liter bottle

2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 yeast ( bakers yeast is fine, I don't know how much is in a small pack)
1 1/2 liters warm water
( more sugar=more alcohol / more water is better)
Its important to activate the yeast first. place warm, not hot hot hot, but a really good warm, add yeast and let set for like 15-30 minutes. Next add some hotter water to the 2 litter and add the sugar. Stir and shake well to dissolve the sugar. finish adding cooler water and the baking soda, then the yeast. You can add sugar a couple of days later to keep it going and then some shakes, but it won't last longer then a week.

Hope this helps.

Luluaroo