My trip to Bergen Aquarium

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

My trip to Bergen Aquarium

Post by Troender »

Yesterday I visited Bergen Aquarium, and had a good time as usual. There were som "old aquaintances" there in the tanks. :D But the one I looked forward to seeing the most, wasn't there: the Colomesus psittacus, Trine, they had there the last time I visited. I had so looked forward to seeing her again! I hope she is still alive and well, and only not on display at the moment. They did have an awful lot of irrubescos in one tank, though. I really hope they won't kill each other... :(

Well, I have some pics from the trip, and I will share them in the days to come. I start with the two species I enjoyed the most: the penguins (I don't know the species) and the Atlantic wolffish. I really love the wolffish, as it's so ugly it's almost cute.

A lot of penguin pics first:

Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Re: My trip to Bergen Aquarium

Post by Troender »

Atlantic wolffish:

Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

That wolffish is awesome!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

What no puffers for us to see.......

That wolf would be awesome to have
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:That wolf would be awesome to have
It would also be too large to have. I quote Wikipedia: "The largest specimen recorded measured 150 cm (almost 5 ft) long and weighed almost 18 kg (40 lbs)". BTW it's a cold water fish.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

never said feasible just awesome LOL
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

yeah id love to have an arowana but they get too big also
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

We used to get them in the fishing net when I was a child. They lay in the bottom of the boat, trying to bite our feet. We used to plug their mouth with a large rock, and then we could hear them crunching on it.

Here's a cousin of the atlantic wolffish: the spotted wolffish.

Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

They lay in the bottom of the boat, trying to bite our feet.
Ouch!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

Pufferpunk wrote:Ouch!
:lol: Luckily we managed to keep our feet out of their mouth until we plugged them with a rock. They feed mostly on sea urchins - that's why they need those strong mouths and teeth.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

So for more tasty friends (the wolffish is considered to be tasty, but I've never tasted it - AFAIK that is :lol: ).

Seabass:

Sea trout (which I really would like to get on a fishing hook):

A lumpsucker. A fish I also remember from our fishing when I was a child. My father tried to release them from the net, and they used to swin right into it again. :lol:

LOTS of salmon. I really wish I could go fishing here!

Some kind of ray with its tail lifted. I like rays.

A cute little camouflaged ray.

I don't know the name of this grumpy little guy.

This is a really bad pic, but it shows the common dragonet with its fins straight up. I loved his fins!
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

The closest I can come to a puffer in my pics: a boxfish. I don't know the species. Sorry about the poor pics, but my 13-year old company was getting tired of her aunt taking all those pics.

Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

I really need to stop at the Atlanta aquarium on the way to Tenn at the beginning of august
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

Troender wrote:Sea trout (which I really would like to get on a fishing hook)
you and me both! looks almost like your standard brown trout. i think here they call them weakfish. unless thats a completely different species. i dont go saltwater fishing much, i wish i did.
Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

Some more pics:

They don't have many sharks, but these two are really cool!

And now the reptiles. They actually have some of them.
I am just fascinated of the toes on the back feet of this guy.

This is a cool little guy:

This is another cute little guy. Last time i visited the aquarium, they were mating right in front of me.

Ok, not a reptile, but a Walrus Head. I've never seen one before, so I was quite fascinated, even though I am scared of spiders. It was larger than I thought it would be.

This one was quite relaxed. :lol:

You Americans are probably not impressed by pics of crocs, but I am not used to seeing one. This one I wouldn't try fighting with :wink:

A curious little thing:

And they are quite cute when they are small.

Another cute little thing:

A snake guarding its eggs.

A beautiful snake!

And this is Vitus, a seal:

And that's it! That was a quick look into what Bergen aquarium has to offer.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~