I neeed help deciding which puffer is for me.

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
EbenCommando
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

I neeed help deciding which puffer is for me.

Post by EbenCommando »

The title says it all. I used to have a 75 and a 20 gal tank running but got out of the hobby almost ten years ago. Now I'm looking to get my 75 up and running again and I have always wanted to keep a puffer, I was wondering which one you guys would recommend. I don't have experience with marine tanks so I would prefer freshwater or brackish ideas. Any ideas, hints, tips, or trade secrets would be greatly appreciated.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: I neeed help deciding which puffer is for me.

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum, check out some of the puffers under the learn tab above. See what sort takes your fancy. You have many choices
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
EbenCommando
Puffer Fry

Post by EbenCommando »

A Figure 8 puffer would be adorable. I have watched a bunch of youtube clips of em, but a 75 seems an awful waste of tank. I have read here and elswhere of ppl having mixed results with puffer tankmates, i tried a pair of oscars in this tank back in the day. Bought them at the same time, and after 18 months of happy tank one bullied the other to death in a few days. Then I had a wetpet and a pleco for years. lol Hairy puffers look pretty cool too though. Its a good thing im not in a rush to get this project running cause I cant make my mind up for filtration I have a marineland emperor 400 hob and a marineland penguin 200 hob. But i have been thinking bout building my own canister filter when i build a stand for the tank. I used to keep it on a desk.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

You can never have a tank too big for a puffer, especially not an active one. It allows you to be clever with your decor, providing excellent hiding spots and good open swimming ground. This can be hard to achieve if you go for minimal requirements imo. I love diy projects, however think a canister would be a bit beyond me, getting the flow through the media correctly would drive me insane. I often considered using a large scuba box with 4 intakes linked to spraybars and a massive return. In the end it was too complex. Keep looking at those puffers and let us know what you are thinking.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Agreed with the above points. A F8 or DP is a good start.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
EbenCommando
Puffer Fry

Post by EbenCommando »

I have read about people keeping bumblebee gobies and a dragon goby with f8s. Im new to the bumblebee but i love watching dragons wiggle across the botton looking for food, or digging out a hideyhole with their chin fin. You think if i make the decor complex enough i could get away with keeping one in there? So far i have a large piece of driftwood about a foot tall, and 2 little ones. Along with abunch of rocks with good stacking potential and a few fake plants, plan on getting more plants though.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

bertie 83 wrote:Welcome to the forum, check out some of the puffers under the learn tab above. See what sort takes your fancy. You have many choices
There is no more Learn Tab. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Pufferpunk wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:Welcome to the forum, check out some of the puffers under the learn tab above. See what sort takes your fancy. You have many choices
There is no more Learn Tab. :(
Habit sorry.