Dwarf Puffer - MTS Feeding

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Byronyk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Dwarf Puffer - MTS Feeding

Post by Byronyk »

Hi!

My dwarf puffer has been in my tank since early Sunday, so about two days now. During the first hour, he/she already began devouring my bladder snails (came with my plants -- my tank is newly cycled).

Most of those bladder snails appear to be gone. I was given a bunch of Malaysian trumpet snails to try and provide a reproducing food source (For free by the LFS that sold me the puffer -- the guy working there said the trumpet snails are almost exclusively what their puffers ate).

I can see the trumpet snails coming out at night like they normally do, but my puffer always seems to hide at night. Do puffers normally hunt during the night? I want to make sure my little guy isn't starving.. :(
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf Puffer - MTS Feeding

Post by Pufferpunk »

MTS's shells are very hard & your puffer won't be eating them. they are good for cleaning up detritus & keeping the substrate cleaner.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Byronyk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Post by Byronyk »

Pufferpunk wrote:MTS's shells are very hard & your puffer won't be eating them. they are good for cleaning up detritus & keeping the substrate cleaner.
Dwarf puffers don't really eat the shell of other snails though, do they? I've always seen them go for the "foot" of the snail -- would MTS not be eaten this way as well?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

They will, if they dare to come out during the day.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"