Fresh/frozen market shrimp

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Fresh/frozen market shrimp

Post by kass »

I am having trouble finding shrimp from the grocery store that do not have sodium and/ or sodium phosphate in them.

Talking to an employee at the fresh seafood counter, it sounds like the "fresh" shrimp are also previously frozen and most likely contain the same preservatives as the frozen ones sold prepackaged.

Do people here feed shrimp with these preservatives? I read that rinsing them will rinse off the sodium phosphate?

If I buy live shrimp from a market can I freeze them and feed or should I quarantine them before freezing?

Thanks.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Fresh/frozen market shrimp

Post by hadla »

Shoot, I hope that it doesn't affect mantis shrimp cause that basically all I feed Roger...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
debtzu
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by debtzu »

I have been looking for the same thing too and have been researching as much as possible, I'm doing more today. I know I have more trekking to do but what I have found so far is Costco has some decent frozen choices: Kirkland sea scallops, Chilean sea bass, Mahi mahi, Norwegian cod, tilapia - farm raised, Kirkland sock eye salmon, calender islands lobster tail, crab claws. I believe there is a shrimp selection too that is acceptable. Walmart has some choices too, trident brand squid, I can't remember what else be it's been a few weeks so my project by this Sunday is to get a fully acceptable seafood list of stores and items. I'll post once I finish it. Whole foods didn't really have acceptable choices be of the sodium etc. It's been a bit frustrating to find foods without the sodium that haven't been previously frozen. Hope this helps and I hope to have this project completed soon.
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

I would be interested to hear what you find.

From what I have read a lot of people in the hobby feed human grade shrimp and haven't had problems after soaking/ rinsing them off before feeding.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by DDR2 »

I'm late to this party, but I've had the best luck finding live, fresh, and frozen seafood at the Asian market. If you've got one in your area it's definitely worth a look. Mine carries all sorts of goodies. Squid, octopus, shrimp, prawn, clams, oysters,scallops, mussels, cockles, snails, and just about every fish you've never thought of. Thinking about getting some pompano next time...