Poll:Time for puffer to settle down and develop personality?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.

How long does it take for your puffer to settle down, develop personality and interact with you?

Right from Day 1
No votes
within a week
29%
1 to 2 weeks
29%
2 weeks to 1 month
14%
1 to 3 months
14%
3 to 6 months
14%
6 to 12 months
No votes
More than 12 months
No votes
Never - my puffer continues to be scared of humans.
No votes

Total votes: 7

nosnoop
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Poll:Time for puffer to settle down and develop personality?

Post by nosnoop »

My dwarf puffers settled down very quickly, and they were not scared of the sight of me coming close to the glass even on day 1.

OTOH, my new F8 in another tank is still extremely scared of the sight of any humans after 1 week. There are plenty of artificial plants and ornaments to provide hiding place and breaking line of sight. And when there is no one around, and I peek at it from a distance, it would swim around the tank. It is most comfortable when I dim the light, and it would hide at the back of all the plants and ornaments. When I turn on the lights, it would glass surf; and when anyone gets close, it would panic.
I am just worried that it is going to take a long time to adjust, if ever! And feeding it is difficult as well when it is so scared of me.
I am in the process of converting it to a BW tank. It is at 1.002 right now, and plan to raise it by 0.001-2 per week.

For those scared puffer, what is the best way? Put a cover over the tank and let it settle down, or just leave it as is, and let it get used to human activities around the tank?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Poll:Time for puffer to settle down and develop personal

Post by bertie 83 »

It will soon associate you with food and settle down. I say give it a couple of weeks
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly