Numbed fingers: Puffer toxin?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
dvwang
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): United States

Numbed fingers: Puffer toxin?

Post by dvwang »

Hi,

I have 2 GSPs in a 55g tank. Today was hot, so per usual I put some frozen drinking water bottles in their tank to cool down the temperature. After the frozen water bottles melted, I retrieved the bottles from the tank as I usually did.
Not long after that, I noticed a slight numbing sensation on the tips of my fingers. So far the numbing sensation hasn't gone away and it's been over an hour. I suspect that my GSPs may have released some toxins into the tank a few days ago when they aggressively fought for the ghost shrimp and accidentally bit into each other many times. Maybe they released the toxin as a defense mechanism? Has anyone experienced this before, or can explain what might be the cause of my fingers numbing?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Numbed fingers: Puffer toxin?

Post by Pufferpunk »

puffers don't release toxins.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Numbed fingers: Puffer toxin?

Post by Welch4 »

As PP said puffers don't release toxins. Wild puffer contain tetradoxin internally but this is build up for their diet in the wild and to the extent of my knowledge puffers in captivity do not contain this. This reaction is normal with fish tanks, it is just a sensitivity to the bacteria in the tank. Just use long gloves when working in your tank in the future.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk