Fluval canister Fx6

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
malkin71
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka puffer
Location (country): United States

Fluval canister Fx6

Post by malkin71 »

Hello everyone,
Tank size: 125 gallons
Filtration: 2 70 gallon power filters
Tank mates: 7 inch Fahaka puffer, 2 Gouramis, 8 inch Pleco, & feeder fish

We currently have our 125 gallon tank running with just two 70 gallon power filters that sit on the back of our tank & are looking into a canister filter. I work at Petsmart, thank goodness for employee discounts, & know a lot about filters for normal aquariums...but not a lot about filters for puffer-friendly aquariums. Fluval makes a canister filter that works for 100 gallons as well as the Fx6 that works for 400 gallons. We are thinking of switching over our tank to a canister filter. I have done research & know that the Fluval Fx6 churns up quite a current in a tank..I have read online & heard from customers who have this canister filter for their African cichlid tanks or their turtle tanks, but no one is able to tell me if they are good for a puffer tank.

If anyone has a Fluval Fx6 installed in their puffer tank or if anyone has heard of this being successful please help!!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Fluval canister Fx6

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I haven't got that particular filter but I do have fluval external and it's a good filter. You say the FX6 is 'overrated' for your tank but if you use the spray arm it should work great, the water turnover will help to prevent algae as well.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Great filters. And as already stated the spray arm will alow you to custom tune the flow. If you are worried about it being too much you should be fine. You want a filter rated for 3 the size of the tank for puffers.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
malkin71
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by malkin71 »

Iliveinazoo wrote:I haven't got that particular filter but I do have fluval external and it's a good filter. You say the FX6 is 'overrated' for your tank but if you use the spray arm it should work great, the water turnover will help to prevent algae as well.
the two external 70 gallon filters I have are fluval & we love them. we just think it's time to upgrade to a canister...as he's getting bigger he's getting messier. He's only a third of the size he's going to get