New GSP Owner!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Wake
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New GSP Owner!

Post by Wake »

Good morning all.

So I rescued a baby green spotted puffer from being flushed yesterday. Fell in love with it, so I took him as my pet.

I don't know much about these critters.

- Got a 10-gallon tank and rinsed it out. Need bigger tank
- Put in 10lbs of aragonite in the bottom (kept rinsing until clear).
- Put a bubble-curtain-tube thingy in the back of the tank.
- Added a medium-sized whisper filter. Included a small suction-cupped heater (doesn't do much and the water's cold-ish; planning to buy better heater).
- Added three big chunks of black lava rock for hunting ground.
- Added 10 ghost shrimp.
- Put 7 drops of Aquasafe water conditioner in it (not adding Instant Ocean slowly for brackish water yet).
- Breeding invasive snails from Petco in separate tank w/no filter but with heater.
- Ordered a test kit to check ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels.

I don't know what else to do atm.

Making it brackish will supposedly help him out, and I wanna get it to 1.010 salinity eventually, but was told to dissolve all the Instant Ocean salt in a different container and let it drip in slowly over the course of months.

Not sure what kind of conditioner to use for brackish/marine waters.

He's a picky fish. Ate some frozen krill, and left some shrimp carcasses. Hasn't eaten the small snails yet.

I'm worried I'm forgetting some things, and I don't want it to die but live a happy and well-cared-for life.

Water's cold, like 76 degrees. Need it warmer.

Will try to take a pic and upload here in time.

What can I do to make it better guys?

How frequently should I be changing the water?

If you could give me the times for different maintenances (like when to condition, when to feed, the rate to salinate the water... please help me guys.

The little feller is now greeting me every morning with puppy-dog eyes, and follows me as I walk past. I think he's bored of the lava rocks, and wants to explore, but am worried about plants getting destroyed by salt/him chewing them up.

If I could combine the snails in with his tank (a 30+ gallon one) and not have him gobble them all up while breeding and feeding him, that'd be swell.

So much to have to learn regarding this tiny little aggressive fish. :shock:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: New GSP Owner!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. A much bigger tank is needed ASAP. You can raise the sg by 0.002 per week without affecting the tanks bacteria. Is the tank cycled?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Wake
Puffer Fry

Post by Wake »

I learned about cycling after the fact, and it's been a lesson in learning to do all requisite research before jumping in.

Puffer's still alive, but it's been eating a lot, and the tank is still cold (I'm waiting for big heater).

I don't think I can afford to house a GSP. For one fish it's going to cost me hundreds of more dollars.

Considering giving him to someone who will raise him well, and attempt saltwater fish instead.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Sounds like the tank is not cycled. I would try to obtain some filter media out of an established freshwater tank. Then raise the sg by .002 per week. Try not to feed the krill regularly as this can result in lockjaw. Congratz on saving this little guy from the flush.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

You can find a cheap bigger tank on Craigslist... It might be cheaper to just buy saltwater from an lfs if you have one... Then you don't have to bother mixing up salt and water... Hope you decide to keep him! Once he's in saltwater and a bigger tank, he might allow other fish to live with him :) I got a 55g and stand for $200, which will be big enough for olive, Zelda, and the damsel. Good for you for saving him!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

I second Craigslist. I've purchased a tank + stand + hood combo for pennies on the dollar there. A large portion of my equipment has come from there as well. It is great for locating hardware for a saltwater tank as well if you choose to go that route eventually.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

Petco has a dollar per gallon tank sale right now :wink:
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Wake
Puffer Fry

Post by Wake »

I looked deep into his little hungry eyes and I simply couldn't give him away.

Fell in love with the fish, so I went out and bought a 30-gallon used tank for him.

Cycling it now. Got a large Tetra whisper filter, a large heater, and a powerhead.

Added Jungle Start Right and Jungle Start Zyme (3 teaspoons each).

Not sure if fish can go in now. I have 3 guppies. Should I put one in to test it?

As for the 10 gallon he's in currently, I added two chunks driftwood with snails/eggs embedded. Then added two plants attached to coconut husk substrate with more snail in it. Petco peeps gave me 30+ invasive live snails. Got a plecostimus and 3 guppies in there. GSP is about 2 inches long. Most of the 13ghost shrimp are dead. Disemboweled. Dead. Finally witnessed him nipping one to death.

Will go for 55 gallon on Craigslist. Am wondering if 30 gal is enough for only one GSP adult.

Would like to end up with adult saltwater GSP in large tank, but with multiple other fish. Need a strategy to create detailed hiding places where Puffy can't fit his plump into.

Are ghost shrimp able to survive salt water? 1.022-1.024?

I was just there at Petco today and saw their $1/gallon special. Awesome for buying 55gallon, but I don't have the space. Got time, and have been told sale is quarterly. Will aim for it within 2 years.

Love this little guy. So cute. He greets me now when I'm at my desk. :)
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

I wouldn't put the guppy in there unless you really, really don't want it alive. Despite adding in the bacteria, there is a chance the tank is not cycled yet. There is great advice located within this forum about cycling a tank. I would suggest buying a test kit for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and testing your parameters. Either that or take a sample of your water to the local fish store for testing. Glad you got a 30-gallon tank, I'm not sure it will be a forever home though. The tanks are labeled 30 gallon, if only filled with water. Once you account for the displacement of sand and decorations, you will have more like 20-25 gallons of water. That said, my GSP has been the sole resident of a 29-gallon tank since December and he is still alright, though anxiously awaiting his new home. I am currently in the process of building a 40 gallon marine tank through the $1 sale, ebay, and craigslist. If you are cash strapped, I highly recommend going this route. I have all of the equipment, the tank, and am just about finished building the stand (also recommend making your own to save money if you are handy with wood and have tools) for under $400. You have time to spread the cost out over several months now that you have the 30 gallon. There is good equipment to be had if you are willing to take your time finding it.

I'd recommend keeping your 10 gallon tank running as a snail/shrimp jail and temporarily moving the GSP to the 30 while planning and setting up the GSP's final home.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Forget the Jungle products--not the right kinds of LIVE bacteria. Tetra Safestart is what you want.

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Wake
Puffer Fry

Post by Wake »

I am grateful for the input so far. Really.

One thing that's bothering me right now is that in my 10 gallon tank I've got about 20-40 live/dead snails and a couple shrimp carcasses. My GSP is in the corner of the tank and not doing much. I also have a plant and some chunks of driftwood for the snails.

I am scared my GSP may be suffering. Waiting on a test kit by mail but it's now back-ordered. I think I should go to the Petco and get some cheaper strip test things. Also I think I should do my first water change tonight and remove the dead stuff.

Should I do this tonight?
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Remove the dead shrimp/snails asap.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Wake
Puffer Fry

Post by Wake »

Planning on it pretty much now.

Just bought a Freshwater Master Test Kit and ammonium in 10-gal is 2.0 ppm. Nitrite at 0.25 ppm, nitrate at 0 ppm. With aragonite high range pH is between 8.2-8.4.

Been cycling a 30-gal for four days now with a dead guppy stuck inside the filter (heater issues). Checked it just now and Ammonium at 0.50 ppm, with both nitrite and nitrate at 0. pH at 7.6-ish.

Planning to do a 50% or more water change on 10-gallong tank. Am worried about getting rid of baby snails. Can I put puffer in large container with water from the tank and leave it in there while cleaning, or would it die? Haven't changed the water in a tank in ten or more years.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

Wake wrote:Planning on it pretty much now.

Just bought a Freshwater Master Test Kit and ammonium in 10-gal is 2.0 ppm. Nitrite at 0.25 ppm, nitrate at 0 ppm. With aragonite high range pH is between 8.2-8.4.

Been cycling a 30-gal for four days now with a dead guppy stuck inside the filter (heater issues). Checked it just now and Ammonium at 0.50 ppm, with both nitrite and nitrate at 0. pH at 7.6-ish.

Planning to do a 50% or more water change on 10-gallong tank. Am worried about getting rid of baby snails. Can I put puffer in large container with water from the tank and leave it in there while cleaning, or would it die? Haven't changed the water in a tank in ten or more years.
these are toxic levels for a puffer
you have been getting the right info for days now
get him in a bigger tank with clean water and Tetra Safe Start, as you were told
de-chlorinate water for water changes with "Prime"
get everything & anything dead out of all tanks right away
all they're doing is polluting the water more
everything going on right now has got to be totally stressing him out
if you don't get it right immediately, you will lose him
my apologies if this response seems harsh, but it can be mighty frustrating from this end to have someone request advice and then not implement it, especially when a living creature who has no control over any of this is involved
DO IT!
PS: you haven't changed the water in your tank(s) for 10 or more years?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"